Saturday, December 19, 2009

Intentional living



It has been a wonderful "first day" of the One Year of Intentional Living Project, filled with family, friends and a great deal of gratitude. This is a photo of my twin-sister Carla and I along with her 2 year old twin daughters, Skylar and Sierra, as we celebrated our birthday. Photo: Skyler, me, Carla, Sierra.

I woke up today feeling quite excited after a very short sleep, since I was up so late, thinking about the coming year and this little project. I have been thinking about what "intentional living" means to me and I still don't have a clear answer to what living intentionally truly means for me. Not exactly out of character for me to jump in without having a total handle on the details. I think this character trait is something of a blessing and a curse for me - my strength and my weakness - and perhaps that is what I'm doing here...looking for clarity...not so much in the world around me, but within me.

I went for a run around the neighbourhood today and thought about what Day 1 could, should and/or would involve. Then, I realized that simply getting out running and feeling the crunching snow inder my runners was enough in itself. Enjoying the moment. This moment. And that's what living intentionally is about on this day. Today, I simply enjoyed the moment. Lots of moments. Playing at the indoor playland with Carla and her girls. Chatting with our other sisters. That strong cup of coffee this morning. Hanging out in the kitchen with Mom. Eating dinner together. Doing the dishes. Feeling loved. Reading more emails and facebook messages from friends than I could ever imagine receiving! Speaking on the phone with a number of significant and treasured friends/family I am so grateful to love and be connected to. Getting together with a few life-long girlfriends tonight for a glass of wine and chance to catch up. Today, living intentionally is about "living in THIS moment".

I remember a quote that Laura (a great friend and mentor) shared with me years ago that went something like...."Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather, by the number of moments that take our breath away".

It's only Day 1 and already, I feel short of breath.

No comments: