Monday, December 21, 2009

You can do anything you set your mind to.


Day 3 of 365.
It's going to be an extraordinary year.
Feeling a little out of sorts yesterday, I took some time to acknowledge my feelings and listen to them. It's true - my life is definitely not where I'd like it to be in some areas. But in other areas, I am so grateful for all the abundance and gifts I've been given. I remember taking a workshop years ago and the phrase "find a bigger problem" was mentioned, with specific reference to when people feel sad or down about their own life, they should simply find a bigger problem (or purpose) and focus on that rather than blowing our own (usually minor) issues out of proportion.

So...I started thinking about my life and the areas of my life that I would like to change. I also began to look at all that I have been blessed with. More on this another day. Today, I pondered all the things I want and thought about my mom's line "you can do anything you set your mind to". She would stand (usually in the kitchen at the counter where she was doing something) and shake her head, smiling. She'd say, "you can do anything, just not everything".

If this year is going to be one of intention, then here are my intentions for the year. Now, I just have to create a plan to achieve and attract all of these things, so that next year at this time, I'll look back and be able to share with my mom how this little project (and her inspiration) truly changed my life in immeasurable ways.
- take spanish lessons
- finish my workbook, "the 90 day challenge" and pocket book, "A Secret Dream"
- take dance lessons in a group class and dance 2-3/month
- enter a dance competition (?)
- do my 8th Ironman triathlon and get a personal best time - under 13:30 hours
- declutter my garage
- update my business plan for the hostel
- update my bp for my consulting and strategize
- organize a humanitarian mission/trip to Nepal
- get lean and fit (really fit) and have a 6pack
- guitar lessons
- singing lessons
- get more comfortable in my own skin and really let my inner confidence shine
- take some sort of healing modality training program
- sell out our D.I.V.A. Retreat humanitarian mission (to Mexico) in April
- continue to strengthen my friendships with my closest friends and family members
- meet the man of my dreams
- continue to grow and steward my financial well-being in progressive ways.

I really could go on and on....but this is more than enough to grasp for the coming year. Now, I just have to create a plan to make this happen!

The answer for me lies in creating "rituals". One of my greatest mentors and someone I am grateful to call a friend, invited me to look at goals (and achieving them) by creating rituals, like brushing your teeth, which is something you just simply do on a daily basis, without question.

It feels good to focus on all the possibilities in my life, rather than look at what is missing.

One ritual that my mom and I always share is making snow angels. As a kid growing up, I was out in the back yard making snow angels and then calling my mom to come and see them. When I grew up and went to university a few hours away, the ritual continued. I would make snow angels in the back yard, as a surprise for my mom, to remind her that I loved her and was thinking of her. When I would come home on weekends to visit, I would sneak out to the back yard before leaving to go back to school. Sometimes, I would say my goodbyes, drive off and then park the car and sneak around the block, go back into the back yard, make an angel or two for my mom and then jump in my car, wet pants and all and drive the few hours back to school. When she saw them, I hoped it would remind her of how much I loved and missed her. This ritual still goes on, decades later.

Mom, the snow angels in the back yard today are for you and I hope they remind you of how much I appreciated seeing you and love you.

Now...it's time to develop my plan of rituals to bring all these dreams and goals to life!

No comments: