Sunday, December 12, 2010

Morning Glory!

What's the story, Morning Glory?

"Seize the morning!"

Lastnight, we went to see this movie. It was just what my spirit needed.
A little inspiration.
A little reminder of who I am and who I could be.
A big kick in the butt to get a little more passionate and focused on my calling and reason for being here...and not get bogged down and caught up by day-to-day circumstance and unimportant issues!

Here's what the movie is about:
When hard-working TV producer Becky Fuller is fired from a local news program, her career begins to look as bleak as her hapless love life. Stumbling into a job at "Daybreak" (the last-place national morning news show), Becky decides to revitalize the show by bringing on legendary TV anchor Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford). Unfortunately, Pomeroy refuses to cover morning show staples like celebrity gossip, weather, fashion and crafts - let alone work with his new co-host, Colleen Peck, (Diane Keaton) a former beauty queen and longtime morning show personality who is more than happy covering morning "news." As Mike and Colleen clash, first behind the scenes and then on the air, Becky's blossoming love affair with fellow producer, Adam Bennett begins to unravel - and soon Becky is struggling to save her relationship, her reputation, her job and ultimately, the show itself.

Becky, the TV producer follows her passion, conviction and calling, working all hours of the day and night...compelled to make the morning show a success and make her dreams come true.

She's inspired...and inspiring.

And with her passion, values, conviction and strength, she holds everyone, including herself, to higher 'ideals' and to the potential of what they could become...and, of course, in true Hollywood style, they rise and become what they could be.

I laughed out loud. Cried at times, sat on the edge of my seatand found myself identifying with the characters and in some way, the movie spoke to me and reached out and grabbed me, as if to shake me and remind me of my own potential...when I am committed, filled with conviction and passionate about my calling!

Very inspiring.
(Yes...I'm a sucker for those typical Hollywood movies...but I don't care!)

I loved her exhuberant energy and wish I allowed more of that energy in me to come out. I know it's in me. I so identified with this part of her character... but sometimes I seem to get in a little rut, unfocused and sort of uninspired.









There were so many great scenes in the movie but one of the best ones was near the end when Harrison Ford gives Becky some great advice and tells her that he worked so much, in excess, always away from home, and when he was at home with his family, he was watching the news from the corner of his eye, his phone and computer always close at hand....and because of that he ended up with nothing...until he met her. She helped him 'find himself' in many ways and find his calling once again.

His advice to her was valid though.

Put the phone away. Turn off the computer. Realize and remember that work, no matter how important it might seem, is nothing compared to the importance of family and loved ones. If you don't turn off the phone, tv, computer...you'll end up alone, with nothing.

Good food for thought.

Another great message for me, from the movie, is the hope and possibility of love and having a partner that encourages you to honour your calling.


I love happy endings.
I love the sense of possibility.
And I love the kick in the butt to honour my calling and seize the morning!
Mom, you often said the words, "Morning Glory" in a variety of contexts...and you would love this movie.

Love you,
Crystal

No comments: