Thursday, June 3, 2010


Mom, I love this message on a Starbucks cup that I read a while ago. It's another of those witty, truth-filled insights that you would come up with.

It's a also a good reminder for me to always be intentional about what I'm doing in my career. I put the starbucks quote on my fridge where I can see it every day.

I find it hard to believe some days that I've been self employed for over 12 years. I remember starting out, wondering if it was the right decision, leaving a great federal government job that had benefits, medical, dental, paid holidays and matching RRSP contributions. I can't (and couldn't) ignore the fact that my soul was slowly dying inside, in my cubicle (without a door) and stacks of files - clients that I was writing business plans and loan applications for. I wasn't there long enough to be wildly successful at it. That would take years, I think, b/c I don't believe anyone can call themselves wildly successful until someone else calls them that. Anyway, I was good at what I did but really wasn't there long enough to leave a legacy of my own.

However, I can see how easy it could be to "get locked in forever" with the mix of praise, money and opportunity...in my training group (of BDC employees from around the country that got together in Montreal for 3 months of training) the group voted me as the class valedictorian to address the group of dignitaries and graduates of the program. Me? I was the only one WITHOUT a finance degree or accounting background. I was shocked! My branch manager back in Kelowna, when he heard about it, was totally proud.

For a short time...I could see myself getting locked in...enjoying the praise and money (and benefits). Thankfully, the opportunity wasn't there. I wanted to get into training, not lending and those opportunities to teach and work with clients weren't there at that time. In retrospect, I'm so very grateful.

Anyway, Mom, I've got to tell you about my dentist... I may not have any dental coverage now that I'm self employed, but I do have the most amazing dentist! Dr. Leitch has to be the best dentist on the planet...and his team...is simply over the top! I love my dentist! Going there, while it's not my favourite thing to do, is certainly more than pleasant!

I went to the dentist last week to repair one of my teeth. I got a crack in one of my back molars (the price of having big chompers, I guess) and they put a temporary crown on it until I could go back today to get the real one. Last week, after my apt, I went home, slurring and drooling from the freezing. Later that night, Dr. Leitch (HIMSELF) called to see how I was doing and to make sure that my tooth was feeling fine. WOW! That's all I can say.

And then today, I went in for just a short apt so they could put the permanent crown in place. Everyone was and is always so pleasant. They look like they have a ton of fun at work. Dr. Leitch and his staff must have notes in his file about all sorts of things b/c they remember what we were talking about 6 months ago and what I'm up to in my work and Dr. Leitch even noticed that I got my hair cut. What business does this? Amazing!

Thinking about that Starbucks quote...yes "Success is dangerous. If you're successful at the WRONG thing...it can lock you in forever." But what if you're successful at the RIGHT thing? Then what?

Then life becomes one glorious day after another where you leap out of bed with enthusiasm, joy and a sense of purpose and contribution that could probably change the world.

That's what Dr. LEitch does. He actually seems to float around the office on some sort of perpetual high - not of the dental drugs they give you - but rather - of joy, loving his job, inspiring his team, caring for his patients...and everything in between.

At one point, I heard him exclaim with exuberance that just doesn't seem appropriate in a dentist's office, referring to my new crown, "I LIKE IT!"

He also said, as he had various sharp-tipped instruments, water and suction...all in my mouth at the same time, "Am I traumatizing you?"

Only a dentist (and a great team) that is completely intentional, totally successful at the right thing could say that. (Most dentists DO traumatize their patients.) It was a joy be in the dentists chair today...to be surrounded by perfection, joy, enthusiasm and care from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, laughing and smiling.

How can I live intentionally here?
I'm sending Dr. Leitch and his team some of my little inspiring silver rings to say thank you. I'm not sure it's common for dentists to get thank you cards and gifts..but that's what I'm going to do.

Mom, thanks for the big chompers. And thank you for allowing and encouraging me to go out into the world and just TRY to do whatever I dreamed of, not pressuring me to take a safe route, to be successful, or to lock myself in to some kind of wrong career that might give me praise, money and opportunity...but leave my soul empty.

Thank you for teaching me that making money isn't the objective of my career...but making a difference is.

I love you,
Crystal

No comments: