Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A wish for you...


Today, I learned a few things.

Yes...I grew a little! It's funny how you stretch, grow and learn through the difficult moments in life. A couple of days ago, I found myself the (only) guest at my own pity party, feeling sorry for myself.

It seems that by going through a tough day and not trying to avoid it, cover it up, pretend it didn't happen or squish it down inside to prevent it from surfacing...clarity and assurance was the gift today, on the other side of getting pulled through the eye of the needle.

My friend Mel told me that phrase, "Getting pulled through the eye of the needle". I love it! Life is sometimes like that...a pulling, uncomfortable process of going through something where you think you're not going to make it through...just like life, that can get messy sometimes.

Anyway, I had such a day of subtle epiphanies (albeit probably simple ones to many)...but today, for me, they seemed monumental. Enlightening. And powerful. For you, Mom, common sense...

I learned 3 simple truths today:
1. Never place expectations in the wrong place
2. Pay attention to who is allowed into my inner circle
3. Wishes do come true

For starters, I learned something about expectation...and how it's so important to make sure that I place expectations, appropriately, where and with whom they should be placed. Including myself.

It would be a great idea to live with high hopes and low expectations. This has even been a mantra for me in the past. It's a wonderful thought. But it's unrealistic. Expectations exist. I have them. Everyone does. Expectations placed on others and on myself.

But I learned today (just like I have learned that something can be too hot to touch...by getting burned) that it's really important to make sure I place my expectations in the right place. With the right people. Because creating any expectation, in any way, with the wrong person...only leads to disappointment.

It's as simple as that.

So...in the future, when I am struggling with something, like a couple of days ago...I'm going to do a little check within myself to see if I'm placing unrealistic expectations in the wrong place...either on myself or on others, which may be causing my uneasy feelings. I made this mistake a couple of days ago. Too much expectation where it didn't belong.

I also learned (or was reminded) that who I allow into my "inner circle" has a big impact on me in countless ways! (Inner circle could be defined as a person of influence in any way.) If someone doesn't see, support or believe in my vision, they should not be in my inner circle. Just like if I don't see or believe in or support someone else in their vision...I should not be allowed in their inner circle. I would only be holding them back. Like friends, my staff, my banker, the realtor, even the guy who cuts my hair...anyone!! Wouldn't life be so much easier and more inspiring if we were surrounded by others who shared or at least supported our vision.

The hostel is like this...and I think that's why it has been so successful. We received an email today from a past guest...which simply made my day!! It's a true indication that a common vision is so very important...
I loved my overnight stay at your hostel. Everyone seemed mellow and positive. I would stay again...Even though I am middle-aged, I appreciate the good energy and organization that your hostel has. Thanks for a nice experience.
Karen Guilbault


I met with my accountant today to look at last year's numbers. He's been my accountant for 12 years. The entire time I've had the hostel. He's been by my side since Day 1! He's been there, in my inner circle, for every up and down and even when I was audited...when the Government wrongly charged me $10,000 and we appealed..and won! We won not only because we were right but also because my accountant and I had shared the same vision for a decade! Getting back to the numbers for this past year; it wasn't out best year ever, but it was our second best - and that's pretty fabulous to me. (Mom - who would have known it could become this from this?)


Anyway, I'm sorry to ramble, Mom.

The last thing I learned, or thought about today was so simple. I is just an idea. Just a simple idea to send out a positive wish for everyone I see or am in the presence of each day. That's it. And if I have time, send a wish to all the important people in my life. Just a little thought. Just a moment of time. Make a habit of doing so. Imagine the possibilities if those wishes actually came true.

That would be very, very cool!

Tonight, I am sending out a few wishes...to you and Don to catch a few fish at the beach...and for good weather...among other warm and wonderful wishes to you and our amazing family, friends, the people in my inner circle and those outside of it.
Amelie (in the photo below) and I were emailing today about her trip to Kelowna. I'm so excited to see her that I can hardly wait. I'm so grateful that we've kept in touch, and although lots of time has passed, I'm sure our friendship will pick up just where it left off, like sisters do.


Mom, you were right. Chin up. This too shall pass.
It has. And my tub looks great! Who could ask for more?
(Well...to be honest, I would still like to relinquish the task of tub caulking to someone else (not just "someone") the next time it needs to be done...but perhaps great things come to those who wait (impatiently).

Love you,
crystal

No comments: