Thursday, June 24, 2010

Something to write home about...



"We are born with all the wisdom, playfulness, and imagination we need; we just sometimes need help and reminders to return to our senses and get out of our own way." Mark Lesser

Good morning Mom!
Here is the sunrise this morning at 5:00am. I am so excited to sit down with you and your blog. Now that I have internet hooked up at the house, I'll be on line easily. It's been a funny week, taking my computer with me to try to squeeze a few minutes on-line where ever I can...or walking over to Gwen's front drive-way at 6:00am to try to log on to her wireless.

I've missed this time. This peaceful, thought-filled, introspective time to reflect on life and all that you've taught me. The past 6 months have been such an incredible journey of returning to my senses and developing ways to live a little more intentionally...and get out of my own way just by thinking of you and all your wisdom that you've taught or shown me (and our family).

Mom, this started out to be a gift for you...one that I was never going to tell you about until this year was over and I made a book of all these posts - to give to you in 6 months from now - on your birthday. I'm so very glad I told you about it several months ago, although I have to admit, I was really afraid to do so, b/c I feared that maybe you wouldn't like it, or you thought I was silly, or who knows what...
As I've written before, the gift really is in the giving. I really never knew the magnitude of this committment or the results that would happen...

There are so many small and large things that have happened in the last 6 months, caused by or greatly influenced by writing your blog. The BIG things are obvious, for starters,...I don't know that I'd have taken the leap to buy the new house if I had not been committed to living more intentionally the past 6 months. And my work...I don't know that I'd be as focused or clear on my purpose without the 200 hours of writing to you. (I probably write or think about what I'm going to write - for an hour each day - (what can I say - I'm a bit slow) - and that addus up to about 4 or 5 weeks of full-time work over the past 6 months. I never expected that the time would be as much as it has been...and I certainly never expected the benefits to be as great as they are...

Then there's a million small (but really - not small at all) things that seem to be happening...a drama-free life for the most part, less stress, more clarity, fewer distractions (although many still exist), more tiny steps taken towards what truly makes me happy and brings me joy...

It's really so simple. In order to have something to write about every day - as in - apply to my own life what I've learned from you - I actually have to live it. And even though I'm sooo not perfect, I can honestly say that the past 6 months have led me to live so much more intentionally, as you do...and THAT is something to write home about!

It's now 7am and the sun is beaming in the windows. I just baked some gluten-free brownies that I added a bunch of nuts, seeds, cranberries and stuff to (makes it a healthy treat instead of a sinfully-delicious one)...and I'm going to tune the guitars. (This could take a while!) Then...I'm going to actually get to work before Amelie wakes up and we get out on those paddle boards! She leaves on Saturday. I am eternally grateful for her presence and influence in my life. Years ago, perhaps I influenced her...as she managed the hostels and found her path. I see how things come full circle...and how she has influenced me now...from teaching me to compost...to how easy it is to make the most healthy, great meals (she's an amazing cook) just by chopping a bit of garlic, onion and green bits...and adding it to just about anything.

Thank you Mom! For everything!
Love Crystal

No comments: