Monday, May 31, 2010

The difference between "getting messy" and "making a mess".

Mom, this blog is supposed to be a gift for you...but I see that it has been so much a gift for me, too. Thank you. I am grateful. And I'm totally grateful for our chat today. You're simply amazing Mom. I don't know what to say. "Thank you" just could never be enough. Not in a million years.

I went to bed lastnight feeling much lighter from simply acknowledging how I was feeling...and any last tiny bits of loneliness disappeared this morning, along with remnants of feeling sorry for myself, after talking to you.

Thank you for calling Mom.

I also have to tell you...I wrote a message on facebook about tub caulking and receiving a few messages from friends also made life just seem so much brighter and back to normal. Mom, you made my day just by being there...and the rest of my day was filled with countless blessings, leaving no room for loneliness or feeling sorry for myself, at all.

I got the greatest advice from a friend, who I've only actually met, face-to-face, once, unfortunately, but what he said was so true;

Tub caulking...Not that hard if you're willing to get dirty. Maybe a metaphor for life and relationships. I sucked at caulking until I was willing to jump in and get messy.


How true this advise is...getting messy is the only way.

I was also reminded of a basic fundamental "life lesson". We all know it...but sometimes it's easy to forget.
Too much of anything really is not a good thing...when you're caulking the tub and when you're not. Less is more.

Too much caulking doesn't make it better. It just makes a mess. All over the tub and all over your hands. Getting messy is one thing...but making a mess is something different. Getting messy is a part of life - a great part of life - where growth, learning, joy and amazing moments happen. But making a mess (in life) sort of feels like when the sticky caulking is all over your hands. It's just not a good place b/c you can't touch anything, you can't get it off, you're just sort of stuck there in a sticky "paralysis". Just like worrying too much...or thinking too much...or eating too much. Not a good thing...and all you end up with is a mess in your life...hiding out or hanging out in a sort of paralysis.

From now on...less is more...
- less tub caulking
- less worrying too much {about nothing}
- less thinking too much
- less eating too much
- less mess but a whole lot more getting messy.

Mom, you would have been the first to suggest that I not cut too much off the tip of the caulking cartridge. I, however, thought I might need a lot b/c I had just pulled off all the old caulking, so I cut the end off a little more than I probably should have. You know "Less is more" in almost every area of life...and where more is better, you've probably got your measuring cup out, while I'd be free-pouring, but that's another story in itself.

Until then...and until tomorrow,
I love you.
Crystal

1 comment:

Ryan Jenkins said...

Crystal,
I so admire your gratitude for your mother!

And you are so right about getting messy. I read something the other day that said the folks at Pixar make it a goal to hurry up and fail so they know what won't work.
There is so much grow and progress in getting messy.

Thx for the insight!