Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Be careful what you wish for.

Over the past couple days, I've been reading the book, Five Wishes, and thinking about some of the wishes in my mind and heart.

Tonight, as I arrived to my hotel (I'm working in Edmonton for a few days), a phrase Mom used to say, once in a while, came to me...

"Be careful what you wish for."

It's sssssooooooooooo true! The mind and universe are powerful things!! And, usually, I get what I wish for!! Most of the time, that's fabulous! I'm grateful! Excited! Happy...that the universe, God and even a little coincidence (not that I really believe in coincidence) heard me!! However, other times, it doesn't quite work out the way I expected or wished it would.

So...my mom's words resonate with me tonight as I continue to fine-tune and articulate my answers to the assignment in the book "Five Wishes".

A while back, a friend and I were having a great discussion and in this conversation, we discussed our wants and wishes....looking at various scenarios:
1. Happy that the wish came true
2. Glad the wish did NOT come true
3. Disappointed when it became clear that the wishes we wished (and that came true) were not really what we wanted, after all.

I can think about several instances where I thought I knew what I wanted. I put it out there. Asked for it. Got it. And then....reality hit. What I had wished for...was NOT at all what I had really wanted or what was best for me.

From boyfriends to the house I wanted to buy...or the job I never got to the one that I did...or the various twists and turns in life....I've wished on all of these things.

Fascinating!

As I ponder my wishes, just like I pondered many things while hiking in Peru (Machu Picchu) last year....I am humbled by the fact that sometimes, I don't actually know what's best for me. I'm realizing more and more that having faith plays a huge role in my life. (I have a great deal of faith...in God, in life and in humanity.)

And I realize that, perhaps, I don't always know best.

Perhaps I might want to consider relinquishing a bit of control and not being so specific in what I want...and, instead, ask God and the universe to simply give me what is best for me...

Now...that's a thought.

No comments: