Monday, February 1, 2010

Serendipity

Thank you so much for all the emails and comments about my blog yesterday. I didn't quite expect (any) response and certainly did not expect to receive so many emails and comments! I was quite nervous in writing it b/c I would never want to offend or mislead with my silly story...but I'm so glad that everyone has such a great sense of humour (since that was what the post was really about) and laughed with me after my day that went completely side-ways.

The funniest response, by far, was from my mom! Thanks Mom! I love you! I'm so glad you have such a great sense of humour! I laughed out loud after we spoke today!

The other very funny responses, which I genuinely appreciate are from the lovely "match-makers" out there! Thank you. You are so fabulous! I'm speechless!


So...today, I lived intentionally by finding solid ground in a few rituals that I often use to ground me and center me, something I think my mom also does.
But before we go there, I wanted to share a song with you from the movie, Serendipity (which I believe in to an extent...along with making an effort and taking action).

Have you seen the movie "Serendipity"?
If you haven't, it's a great movie from years gone by...about...well.... serendipity. There's a great song in the movie, called "This Year" by Chantal Kreviazuk. It's hopeful, light-hearted and I love it!
The lyrics are below:

This year, is gonna be incredible
This year, is gonna be the one
All the planets are lining up for me
This year, I'm gonna have fun

This year, I'll paint my masterpiece
This year, I'll be recognized
I can feel like I'll fall in love for real
This year, this year

January, I'll learn to fly
February, love's gonna find me
March, April, May, I'll get carried away
Oh, oh...

This year, I'll reach the pinnacle
This year, I'll get to the top
People will ask where she get that energy
This year, I'm never gonna stop

January, I'll learn to fly
February, love's gonna find me
March, April, May, I'll get carried away
Oh, oh, oh, oh...

This year, is gonna be incredible
This year, is gonna be the one
All the planets are lining up for me
This year, I'm gonna have fun

I'm gonna have fun
Just watch me now
This year
This year


The lyrics are wonderful and the song, itself, makes me smile.
There were a few lines in the movie that were also memorable. Not that I actually remembered them, but when i was googling the movie, I clicked on a link that led me to some great quotes from the movie...The following two lines me stop and think for a moment about my own life.

"Maybe we're lying here because you don't wanna be standing somewhere else."

"You see that is what happens when people get hooked on the new age life they end up sitting at home burning candles for mister right, when mister good enough for right now is waiting at the corner bar!"

Honestly, I can see a little (...OK, maybe a LOT) of myself in both of these quotes... I've stood in one place, at times, because I just didn't want to be standing somewhere else. And...I have to admit that I've burned those candles, waiting for Mister Right, watching a few very special and wonderful Mr. Good Enough and even Mister Great, walk out the door.

I'm not perfect. But I am real. Genuine. Kind. And doing the very best that I can. In the past year, I've become so much more able to let down my walls and just be "me". Glorious, fabulous, imperfect ME! I used to want people to see only the happy side of Crystal, not the introverted, quiet side and certainly never the imperfect parts of me. Now, I am almost joyfully excited to simply embrace all of me and share that with the world! I've always been pretty real, down to earth, genuine and caring, but this year I decided to make a few small subtle changes, allowing people to see "not only the best of me, but also the rest of me" (as the song goes)...and I feel different. Lighter. More hope-filled.

Even though I had a pretty crappy day yesterday, I still feel so blessed. There are days when I feel like Forrest Gump, just running and running...somehow, always ending up on my feet, surrounded by the right people at the right time, where everything always works out so perfectly.

My mom has always said that praying about things plays a big role, and I'd have to agree. I may not have graced the doorstep of church much the past year, but I've had more conversations with God than I've ever had before! I'm learning that with "faith", all things really are possible.

Here are a few photos of a few other things that have been serendipitous in the past year...and influential in my current year of intentional living in amazing ways.

Climbing Machu Micchu last year.













Trekking in India with a the most wisdom-filled guide named Bicky, who is truly one of the most incredible people I've ever met.

Attending a few programs with Inside Out Leadership and now joining their leadership team (I'm so grateful and excited about this amazing opportunity!)













Spending more time with my amazing family! This has been the most important thing for me. Here is a photo of my sister and I as we open a care package from our mom...her famous jam, loaf and perogies!!!! And another photo of 2 other sisters and I as we walked the 60km breast cancer walk this past summer. "Courage" was the word of the weekend there, without a doubt.



And lastly...this incredible tribe of girl-friends that I'm so blessed to be a part of...words cannot express how intentional living has become when surrounded by a few women who truly change the world.


What I really was meaning to share tonight - about "rituals" will have to wait until tomorrow.

Mom, you're probably glad that today's blog is not filled with the surprises of yesterday's post. :) I laughed so hard after we spoke today!
I hope you know how much i love you. Thank you for all the serendipitous moments that you and God orchestrate in my life.
Love Crystal
PS: As the song above goes...."This Year...is gonna be incredible. It's gonna be the one. We're going to paint our masterpiece. And we're going to have some fun!"

PPS: Humour really does change everything. With humour in my box of tools today, it was very productive day and everything that needed to happen...happened! (at work...which was actually what my frustration was about). Without a sense of humour, I'd still be doing that "ugly cry". (If you've ever seen anyone or been the one doing the "ugly cry", you know what I mean.)

No comments: