Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Five Wishes






















I am reading a book called "Five Wishes" by Gay Hendricks right now.

If you've never read it...it's worth picking up. But here's the basic premise...
If you were to arrive at the end of your life and look back...ask yourself the question, "Was my life a complete success?" (Of course...success is different for everyone and it's up to you to define it how you feel is right for you.)

If your answer is "no, my life was not a complete success."...there would likely be some reasons for this...

So, as the book continues... "if you said that your life had not been a complete success, what would be the things you'd wish had happened that would have made it a success?"

Good question....Big question....

My reaction is to want to think about my answers. Take some time to jot my ideas down on paper. Really think about it.

BUT...Then the book said something that really got to me...
"The bigger the question, the more important it is to answer it right now. This moment is all the time you need. It is the only one we have."

Hmmm...
So here we go....uncensored (from my head to my hands as I type)....
If I were to look back on my life....I would say that I'd wish....
- I followed my own path earlier in life and tried less to "keep up with the Jones's"
- I'd wish that I spent more time with the people that really matter in my life - my brothers and sisters, my mom, nieces and nephews, close friends and girl-friends.
- I'd wish I laughed a lot more and worried a lot less about the future.
- I'd wish that I found true love, met the man in my dreams and had a family.
- I'd wish I traveled around the world for a year...
- learned to sing and play the guitar and piano
- And dance. I wish I'd learned to dance and shake my body (and booty) from ballroom dancing to jazz and salsa.
- I wish I'd spent less time comparing myself less to others and more time telling myself that "I am good enough."
- I wish I'd slowed down and really looked in the eyes of the people who crossed my path, whether they were strangers or friends. I wish I'd stopped to really see them.
- I wish I'd let the silly, enthusiastic and funny side of my personality out more...

This is what I'd wish for...of the top of my head...
Some of them are coming true as I write this. (I've never been so open, vulnerable and real as now...and I've never cared less about what others think, which feels so good,...never lived so much in the moment as now...and I've started to let my goofy, silly side out a lot more...yay!) Other wishes....they're still wishes in my heart....for now.
More on the book tomorrow.

Mom, Thank you for this project, this gift to you, which I see is such a gift to me as well. I hope you know how much I think of you every day as I try to live just a little more intentionally on a daily basis,and a little more like you.
Love Crystal

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your post today, Crystal. I'm so there with you! And need to find that book! Thank you :)
~ Dorothy on the Island, by the water, surrounded by nature and beauty and still haven't figured out what to do with my life or how to live it! But I'm getting there....!