Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How does that happen?















Mom, what happened to me today might happen to you all the time. You know so many people and you are so "connected" to them... But what happened to me today was surprising, surreal and a little spooky (in a strange and wonderful way).

I'm not a big drama queen, but today was one fascinating day! Yesterday I wrote that I wanted to get back in touch with some very special people that I've lost touch with...

TODAY - THREE of the very VERY special people, who I've been blessed to cross paths with in the past, sent me emails, (TODAY!) out of the blue, giving me goose-bumps for one simple reason. These same three people are three of the 9 or 10 very special people that I've been blessed to know, whom I love and adore, but have lost touch with over the past while...and who I was referring to in my blog post yesterday!
How does that happen??

I am beyond perplexed!!

This is so ironic! I've been thinking about them (and a number of others) since I started writing this blog almost 2 months ago...because, as I've written before, I think about living more intentionally every day now...and with those thougths, comes the interest and desire to then act...being more intentional...and reconnect with people I've let slip away a bit. It's impossible to just "think" about living more intentionally...and not do something about it. I've been making a list of people that I want to reconnect with since I started writing this blog. I've reconnected with some but there is a long list of very special people that I need (that my heart and spirit needs) to reconnect with. Slowly but surely, I am reconnecing with these people and it's been wonderful!

I hope these 3 very special people don't mind me sharing a bit about them on this blog....

I met my friend, colleague and confidant, Paul de Burger about 10 years ago. We taught business planning programs together, worked together on various projects, raced in the Ironman triathlon together and even went to Singapore to do a speech together! We started out in the speaking industry together, at the same time, and I can still remember a meeting we had in Princeton, as if it were yesterday, where we shared our dreams of living out our life's calling and helping others live out theirs. Paul is brilliant, funny, very witty and very talented. He and his wife Angela are the most incredible couple and I wish they still lived in the Okanagan. They can also sing and play the guitar, effortlessly, which leaves me in awe!
This is a work photo we took when we went to Singapore to speak.


And then Elizabeth...I've been thinking of her a lot lately, which is strange b/c we lost touch a few years ago. Elizabeth is from Quebec and she worked at the hostel years ago with a couple of her friends. Elizabeth, Flavie and Claudia came to stay at my hostel on a very busy May long weekend. Our hostel was full. We had no room for them. But for some reason, I just had to help them, even though we had no room. They ended up staying in their tent in the back yard of my tiny house (which was located right across the street from the hostel) and they stayed there for a night or two until the hostel had a vacancy. It was "God Wink" for me...b/c Elizabeth and her two amazing friends ended up working at the hostel, creating some of the most special moments the hostel has ever seen - with their flare, personality and enthusiasm! Elizabeth is one of the most artistic, beautiful and special people I've been blessed to meet. When she left the hostel to continue on her journey, she wrote me a poem on a dry-erase board (you know the kind you can just wipe off with a cloth). I kept that poem on that board for at least two years, ensuring that nothing would ever touch it or wipe it off. If I think about "defining moments" in my life, the arrival of Elizabeth, Flavie and Claudia at the hostel was likely the pivotal defining moment at the hostel...b/c when they arrived and created such an amazing atmosphere, it attracted an entire group of travelers that stayed so long at the hostel...and then future staff were friends of theirs and that just went on and on. Wow!
Here is a photo of Elizabeth and some of the other staff and guests at the hostel way back in 2000 or 2001. I wish I had more photos of those amazing years on my computer ...but that was before "digital" really existed.

Amelie also emailed today and she's been on my mind for months. She and Elizabeth are in this photo that they sent to me from Quebec, after they returned home from working at the hostel and their travels. I've been meaning to take an hour to write a big letter to her for so long. I have thought of her more times than I can count (literally) and I am so sorry that I have not written sooner to tell her how much I have thought about her. Amelie is someone that once you meet her, you will never forget her (similar to Elizabeth). She's my "sister" and I can honestly say that I don't know what I would have done if she had not come into my life. Amelie came into my life at a time when I was at my lowest. I was going through my divorce. It was a really tough time for me but Amelie gave me hope and strength when i needed it most. She managed the hostel in Kelowna and the other hostel we had at Sun Peaks Ski resort. She helped teach me how to swim so I could finish my first triathlon and was there cheering for me in my first ironman race. Then, when she went travelling in Australia, I ended up doing an ironman race there at the same time. Amelie was there to pick me up at the airport when I arrived, cheered on the sidelines of the race again and then invited me to travel with her for a few weeks afterwards. I am still grateful for that. There were so many great moments...like when we went camping in Radium and had some of the best times of my life. Amelie and I had so many laughs, moments, talks and I can only hope that I gave her as much as she gave me over those years. The song "Action" and Enrique Iglecias are in my mind as I write this b/c we used to sing these songs together.

The photo at the very top of this post is a shot inspired by a greeting card that means a great deal to Amelie and I. It symbolizes that "a kiss of magic is blowing your way".

And it is blowing your way.


Mom, this is so wierd! I really don't know how this happened today. It was too strange to be a coincidence. What I do know is that a rough start to this week has sure turned out to be one amazing, wonderful experience. Mom, what I think about tonight is how you always said just to keep going, to "show up" and "do your best" and everything else will work itself out.
You were right.
love you,
crystal

Part 2:
Mom, now...I am really in shock. Yesterday I wrote that I wanted to get back in touch with some people that I've lost touch with. How does it happen that three of these people have contacted me today...and now, tonight, a friend that I've been meaning to write/connect with for the past month or more has also just sent me an email? Tonight? Tonight! I've been thinking of him daily for the month! I am speechless.
You know, Mom, I can create a cause to celebrate out of nothing. A special event or birthday isn't required. And I'm not really an overly dramatic "drama queen" as this blog post might sound. This has actually happened today. How is it that 4 very special people in my life have decided that "today's the day" to contact Crystal. Is that not strange? Can you explain this? Can anyone explain this? I'm truly speechless (and God knows - that doesn't happen too often!).

2 comments:

Studio 4 PR said...

Hi Crystal,

Your blog post came up in my google alert because it had "God wink" in it and I'm the assistant to the author of the When God Winks series of books. Perhaps that's a God wink?!

In any case, your post radiates with awe-inspiring enthusiasm. You see, now that you're living intentionally, you'll see them all the time. A God wink is God's way of letting you know you're on His GPS always.

If you haven't already, feel free to check out www.whengodwinks.com and the God winks fan page on Facebook, which is aiming for 75,000 fans by Superbowl Sunday. We are always looking for great Godwink stories to include on our "Wink of the Week" on the web site, so please feel free to write me at whengodwinks@gmail.com with any more.

Thanks again for your great post!

Best wishes and winks,

Robin Taney
Studio4PR
www.studio4pr.com
robin@studio4pr.com

Anonymous said...

Crystal ... your words and thoughts warm my heart. What comes to mind for me is this: Commitment #7:
"There is a higher purpose active in my service." While living intentionally you have "put it out there" and manifested what lives in your heart. You are beautiful from the inside out!
((hugs)) Marlene