Monday, February 22, 2010

You don't know when to shut up, Crystal!


I remember...on occasion...when I was younger, being told "you don't know when to shut up". It is true.

I don't.

It would be important to know when to shut up. When to be quiet. When to bite my tongue!

Sometimes, I forget this!

Today, today I failed at my attempt to "live intentionally" and I let myself get sucked into a situation that I could have handled much better....if I only knew when to shut up!

This morning, the staff at the hostel had a situation with a customer that they couldn't deal with so they called me to come and assist. A guest arrived lastnight and was allowed to stay...but today, it was realized that he didn't have the right identification. We require a valid passport or drivers licence and a credit card in order to stay, just as all hotels and most hostels do. Anyway, an argument ensued and the staff called me b/c the customer was causing a disturbance, indicating that we were being discriminatory.

I went over to help.

But I said too much. I tried too hard (to defend and justify our position of why we require this ID) when really, since it's not negotiable, I should have simply asked the person to leave. No explanation. No further discussion. No nothing. End of story.

Instead, I got sucked into an impossible discussion b/c I didn't know when to shut up. I allowed the guest to rope me (willingly) into the argument/discussion that continued long past it should have.... The one (slightly) redeeming thing is that he's likely had this same arguement a million times before with other people...so I'm just the target today.

Not to diminish the point.

Will I ever learn? After 12 years, one would think that I know how to handle these situations better. Most of the time I do.

Well, wait. Do I really?
If I was totally honest, I could handle things much better (and say much less) when I have a disgruntled guest. It's rare to have issue or disgruntled guests but it does happen a couple times/year when we have to ask someone to leave...if they are being unreasonable or if they are causing a disturbance. In each of those times...I talk way too much and try to explain our rationale, justify our position, defend our point of view...when really, I should simply say, "I'm sorry, but you're going to have to leave now."

Sometimes "less is more" and today I am reminded of this again! If I want people to listen, I need to keep it short...and mean every word. Not ramble on with explanation.

Thank you for this little lesson!

Mom, sometimes I really STILL don't know when to shut up!
I love you and I thank you for loving me anyway!
love Crystal

1 comment:

christina said...

Crys,
i am really enjoying your insider- peek-at-owning-a-hostel stories, i don't think i have ever told you this, but i really admire and even envy your entrepreneurial spirit - and frankly, i always assumed it was "easy" for you and that the whole thing just came together more or less effortlessly. But of course now i realize that the whole thing is work and risk like any other job/occupation, including good days and bad days and second guessing oneself. Anyway - i love reading about it. xoxox c