Sunday, February 21, 2010

There are buses, boats and helicopters everywhere...


My friend Mel told me a story (really - it's a fable) the other day about God.
I'm not sure why I'm compelled to share this story here...but here it is.

As the story goes...
There was a big flood and people in the little town were evacuating the area b/c the flood waters were rising. One man,however decided to stay with his home. A bus came by and the people in it hollered to the man, "Come on. Get in the bus. The waters are rising." The man replied, "No. I'm staying with my house. God will save me." So...the bus drove off.

The flood waters rose and the man had to go to the second level of his home b/c the waters were rising so much that the streets now became rivers and the water was flooding his home. A boat passed by and the people in the boat saw the man leaning out the window. They said "Come on. Get in the boat!" The man replied with the same as before, "No. I'm staying here. God will save me." The boat continued on.

Then, as the flood waters rose even more, the man sat out on his roof and almost had to swim b/c the waters were so high. A helicopter saw the man and went to save the man. The people in the helicopter lowered a ladder and instructed to the man to climb up. He, again, said "No. I'm staying here. God will save me." The helicopter could stay no longer to persuade the man and it disappeared into the distance.

The man drown. When he went up to Heaven, he met with God and said, "I waited for you to come and save me. You didn't come. Why?" God then said, "Heck. I sent you a bus, a boat and a helicopter. What more did you want?!"

When Melanie told me this story, we had a great laugh and conversation about a million different things...I'm not even sure how this story came up...but it has stuck with me the past few days.

The more I can live in "the moment" and be present, I realize that I will see the bus, boat and helicopters that surround me and pass before me. When I go travelling, I am very much in the moment. I love travelling b/c so many serendipitous moments take place. I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. That feeling starts as I pack my bags. I see the bus, boats and helicopters (sometimes literally), showing me that God is everywhere, in everything....b/c I'm really open to possibility, living for today and not even thinking about tomorrow (or what will be going on when I'm 50). I have no attachment to the future or outcomes b/c travelling is about the present moment.

I love travelling b/c it's when I feel so fully alive. I've always known that every day could be like this...not just when I'm travelling. I just have to allow myself to be open to all that passes before me...and take the ride when it's offered.

Today, I'm going to think a little more about what I experience when I travel and how to bring that perspective to every day, even when I don't have my boarding pass in my hand.

Mom, I love you...
Great to speak with you yesterday.
Yes...I owe you for that post the other day...
;) Sorry...well...not really...I hope you laughed. I just had to do it!
It's true...you are stunning!
love Crystal

1 comment:

Tacey said...

Oh Crystal...I admit this is my first read...But i'm hooked...I especially love this entry...I love it when I see the 'busses and helicopters' all around. You are such a gift to this world.