Monday, February 8, 2010

Can you see my spirit?

Deep inside our hearts, I think each of us is asking the following question to those around us and to the universe as each new day and the sun rises.

"Can you see my spirit?"

In fact, I think we're not only asking for others to see our spirit, I think (inside our deepest self) we're hoping, praying and subconsciously wishing that others just might see us for who we really are...and who we have the capacity to become - in all our shining brilliance!

I think that, as children (and even as adults), all we really need is to be "seen". To have our spirit, the essence of who we are, acknowledged and validated by those around us. With that acknowledgement and validation, like a breath of wind under our wings, we are free to grow and reach our potential, rather than being stifled, minimized or controlled...and shrinking.

Growing up, my mom saw my spirit. She validated me and she saw "me" for who I really was. For this, I am forever grateful b/c it influenced my life immeasurably.

A long time ago, when we were in grade 9, my twin-sister, Carla and I switched places in our classes. We wore the same clothes that particular day and then, just for fun, we met in the hallway and I went to her class and she went to mine. It was, after all, the beginning of the school year and the teachers couldn't tell us apart yet. Our friends knew the difference, of course, so the joke was really on the teachers. We thought it would be fun. Our classmates and friends thought it was, indeed, funny. When the whispers and snickers grew...and the teachers became wary that something was going on...we basically switched back...like we had never played the trick in the first place. Well, I don't know what happened to Carla but I got sent down to the office. The "guidance counsellor" took me into her office and told me she knew I was Carla, which I wasn't, and asked if I was "needing attention" and if everything was OK at home. Everything was great at home...we were just playing a practical joke! It took 10 minutes to convince the counsellor that I was really Crystal and I had to even explain the joke and how we switched back to our respective classrooms. When we got home, our mom was there, laughing.

She saw our spirits...that we were just having fun...and, apparently, when the teachers called her, she laughed at them,too. I'm so glad that our mom validated who we were when we were growing up, instead of stifling or controlling our growth. and I'm very glad she's got a great sense of humour!

For me, I know that if I slow down my frenetic pace, if I really try to focus on simply being "present" with those around me, if I look them in the eye and if I stop thinking of my agenda, but rather accept and love the other person for who they are...I think it's possible to not only see the spirit or essence (or potential) of others but to actually draw it out.

This is what living intentionally is about for me right now. I know when I'm in the right "frame of mind", I can see the spirit in others naturally. I learned how to do that from my mom. But when I'm busy, stressed or rushing...it's impossible.

Over the past fewy days, i've had a few wonderful conversations with people. Part of what made them so wonderful was that these people saw right into me. They looked into my eyes. They saw my spirit. Not only who I am inside...but who I could become. And that is so very inspiring.

So, for this week and beyond, I'm going to focus on really slowing down with people, being present, looking them in the eye, believing in their potential, and hopefully letting them know that "yes, I can see their spirit."

Mom, thank you for seeing my spirit - for acknowledging who I was, who I am, and who I continue to become. You remain the wind beneath my wings.

I love you.
Crystal
PS: I think going snowboarding at least once over the next week or two and playing the guitar more often will help bring out my spirit....and I hope, help me to see the spirit of those around me even more.

No comments: