Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hope.



Daffodils are the flower of "hope" and this particular daffodil plant did exactly that for me.

12 years ago, when I started the hostel, it was such a mess... I was exhausted those first few months of February and March, but as spring arrived, and as the hostel began to take shape, I noticed this plant rising out of the dirt, in front of the hostel.


I look forward to daffodil season every year. More so, I look forward to my daffodil plant, that was like a small miracle of hope for me when life was at it's most difficult. Every year, as I excitedly wait for the daffodil to bloom, I silently give thanks for the hope it gave to me when I needed it years ago. And I give thanks for another year. Another year of life. Family. Business. Abundance. And so much more.

A few years ago, when I contemplated selling the hostel, the one thing that I absolutely must have taken with me (if I did sell it) was this daffodil plant. I don't know why it means so much to me. It just does. Words cannot even express the feeling I have when I see it blooming every year.

Gratitude. Humility. Confidence. Joy. Thanks. Faith. Gentleness. These words are an attempt but don't convey what I feel entirely.

I'll never know who planted it there. And they'll never know how much it means to me.

What I do know though, is that I want to bring hope to others, like this person has for me when they planted that daffodil plant decades ago.

Mom...you're a lot like the anonymous daffodil planter for everyone in your life. You quietly go about your life, silently planting bulb after bulb (not flowers but kindness, conversations, actions) that grow and give hope to everyone around you.

Love you,
Hope you are having a great time!!
Crystal

No comments: