Tuesday, April 6, 2010

You could do that a couple of different ways

Yes...I could do things a couple of different ways.

1. I could procrastinate and then suffer the consequences of my lack of action and diligence.
OR
2.I could be a bit more intentional, employ a little consistency, and not experience the mental suffering of the former choice.

I'm talking about my business accounting and paperwork. I've procrastinated, pushed it to the limit and now I'm so disappointed in myself...b/c I know better. I had such good intentions. I was early getting most of my items in to the accountant...but then I got busy, put it aside and never completed the last few items. It's not actually that I'm disorganized (in this area of my life). I'm quite fastidious about my books, business and paperwork. I thrive on the details when it comes to my business and money b/c I learned years ago that success in business is a mix of a few important things - including taking care of the details.

Two things that my mom said over the years to me comes to my mind right now:
"You could do that a couple of different ways." And "If you take care of the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves."

When my mom came out to help me in the first few weeks of owning the hostel, we were cleaning, painting, fixing...and I remember sweeping the floor and there were a few pennies collected in my dustpan. I noticed them. And I swept them up with the dust, worrying much more about the hundreds of thousands of dollars that I owed for this big new project, not even thinking about the pennies or what they would amount to.

My mom saw these pennies and that I had swept them up into my dust pan. She stopped me and said, pointing her finger at the dustpan, "pick those up". Nothing more was said. I got it. I picked them up. Put them in my pocket and we carried on.

That was 12 years ago.

Since that time, when ever I have seen pennies being wasted, dropped, discarded, or left behind at the hostel, I pick them up. Put them in a jar and save them. My staff do it now. They save them for group dinners and their "fun fund". In my life, too, I recognize where I spend pennies frivolously and how that adds up. It makes me aware of spending even a few dollars with intention b/c it really does add up!

Lately, I have not worried so much about the pennies, but it's time to refocus and redefine my plan. Set the bar a litte higher...in business and in life.

Living intentionally right now means...getting through the paperwork on my living room floor right now, and then doing things a different way this coming fiscal year. It also means continuing to watch my pennies.

If I do, the dollars will take care of themselves.

Mom, hope you are having a great flight and arrival in Spain!
Send me a sign!
Love you,
Crystal
PS I'm going to look at a house to buy across the street from Gwen in an hour!! cross your fingers! It's gorgeous! Imagine the fun we're going to have when the family comes out to visit!!! There's fruit trees (perfect for making jam) and a gorgeous view of the lake! It humbles me to figure out how to make this work but I know that if it's right, I'll find a way. Thank you for teaching me that money is never the issue and is never the thing that should hold me back. This was probably one of the greatest gifts you gave to me. Thank you. I love you.

1 comment:

April said...

When i get a minute i like to sit down and read your blogs because knowing that they are about such a special lady ensures that i will always be able to take something away. I am currently de-cluttering my house in an effort to make packing for the move in a month easier..I threw 2 pennies in the garbage today :(... then i picked them out after reading this - nothing more needs to be said, I get it too. AND! your packing lighter blog as reminded me that my whole house doesn't need to be squished into my new bedroom (poor Kurt, bless him for allowing me to move in with him).. anyways just thought i would let you know you're inspiring me and keeping my in check. Hope the visit with the new house went well, Talk to you soon :)