Sunday, April 11, 2010

Social Relationships?

Yesterday I watched a documentary about "happiness" while making the biggest pot of soup! While cutting and chopping vegi's, I put my lap-top on the counter so I could watch this great documentary. I'm a bit under the weather, with a cold, right now and thought that a bowl of home-made soup and a dose of positive thought might be the remedy. That two hour run apparently didn't quite do the trick!

The documentary was excellent. It said that the basis of all happiness, according to this study, was not money, security, fame or fortune, of course...but rather...happiness is directly a result of the "social relationships" we have, and the connection and communication we hold with those around us.

On an intangible level, this is obvious to everyone, but it was nice to listen to hard science actually prove it to be true as well. The study went on to say that happiness is like a virus...it's contagious...and if you're happy, then your friends are 15% happier...and their friends are at least 10% happier too, just by the ripple effect!

So...if you're happy, then someone you don't even know is happier too...AND the other way around...if someone you don't even know is happy...because of that, we're happier too!

Mom, it's easy to see why you're so happy...you've got so many wonderful relationships with each of your kids, with Don, with your friends, your grand-kids, and with so many more...

Mom - I MISS YOU! I miss being able to call you! You've only been gone maybe a week. So much has happened! I want to call and ask you about this house I put an offer in on! Did you get the email? What do you think?? I'll keep you posted! By the time you return, I hope to have your guest bedroom all planned out!! :) :)

I've been into researching and reading about happiness for a few years. It's what everyone wants more of, I think.

More happiness. More fulfillment. More joy. More peace.

I see this not only in my clients and programs but in myself. These are things I want more of.

Sometimes I don't have an exact plan for my future and my life...but I know I'm sure a lot happier now than I've ever been.

One of the things that happened today that made me feel so happy was a speech I did tonight for 60 runners who are training for a big race. I felt pure joy, sharing my own experiences of barely making it through the swim of my first triathlon, running a 100km ultra-Marathon with my friend Stephanie and other stories...and how it's possible to go from being 10th last in an Olympic triathlon to finishing an ironman race a year later. They laughed. Their eyes sparkled.

Mom - it was amazing. I was really good. And funny! They laughed a ton! Who knew I could be so funny?

I love calling you to celebrate when I've done a great speech and wish you were here to call tonight.

I started out with a definition of "commitment" which is
"Doing the thing you said you would do long after the feeling you made the commitment in has left you."
(How true...) I ended with the story of my first triathlon and how I made it through the 1.5km swim with 30 seconds to spare before the 1 hour cut-off time!

Sometimes, I do surprise myself. I don't know how it always seems to work out for the best for me! I feel so lucky b/c so many people always believed in me, even when I didn't. I'm surrounded by people that love me... my mom, Gwen, other sisters who are always calling to keep in touch, brothers who may not call so much but who are always there if I need to call them...the team at the hostel(wow!)...friends...so many amazing friends...and I realize how and why I'm happier now than I've ever been.

It's because of these social relationships. People that love me and that I love. Loved ones to share things with, celebrate with, laugh with, be serious with and cry with.

I can only wish that everyone else has the same experience.

This is what living intentionally is about.

Relationships. Friendship. Caring for one another!

No comments: