Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Doing" vs "Being"

The past few days, I was busy "doing"....but not "being".

Doing a lot of things...work for a few clients, a workshop for a local business, lots of stuff for the hostel, spending time in he backyard jungle, hosting a party with some friends, more errands for the hostel, etc.

But something was missing.

I wasn't "being" in the moment. I was just doing all of these things. Like checking things off a checklist. (Not very intentional, I know.) Somewhere in the last couple days, I forgot to just "be".

I have not been entirely cranky the past few days...but I've been a bit off the last day or so. For sure, yesterday, I was irritable b/c my neck's been sore, giving me headaches. Poor Poopy pants me! (It would be a good name for me right now. Not literally - but figuratively.)

Inside voice: Thank GOD I'm not injured or sick very often. I don't think I'd handle it very well. I'm so used to functioning at 90-100%. I admire and respect anyone who deals with being sick, disabled or injured SO MUCH!

So...I'm thinking...was I off yesterday b/c of my neck or what?
....am I needing something? Missing something? Hhhhmmmmm? I'm not sure, but it'll be something to think about.

I think what it really is...is that just forgot something...how good things really are!
‎"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are." Marianne Williamson

In my workshop the other day, the group was amazing. One of the rare businesses and teams that have it right! They work so well together, honestly like eachother, have very low staff turnover and seem very motivated from the inside out! It was amazing to be a part of their group for a day.

In the workshop, I gave them each a copy of my "90 Day Challenge" and invited them to participate in a challenge for the next 90 days....
1. Pick 2 goals (large or small, work or personal in nature)
2. Every day - do 3 tiny little things towards achieving those goals

If we did that, that would be 3 little things per day x 3 months = 270 little tiny steps towards our goals and dreams! (And if we forget or don't get these things done, that's OK too...just move on to the next day with no hard feelings or guilt!)

So...I decided to take the challenge too!

My two goals are:
1. learn to play the guitar = at least 5 songs
2. focus on my fitness and health

It's going to be a fun 90 days...

Mom, I think I might have let my mouth get away on me...b/c I told the group that I'd come in and play the guitar for them at the end of the 90 days!

Uh Oh!

It's time to start being....AND doing! I'm totally excited b/c I said one of my goals out loud and said I would commit to something....I gave my word. There's no going back now!

Mom, I'm sorry I have not written much lately. It was a busy week. And I think I lost sight of myself the past few days, just busy doing and not being. (and not living intentionally). I'm sorry!

Simply taking time to write, think about you, slow down and just be feels like a bridge to living more intentionally.

Thank you, Mom.
Love you,
Crystal

No comments: