Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Going against the grain...

Mom,
I had a simple but totally totally awesome revelation today...and it reminded me of you.
This week, I'm driving to Penticton all week for work. I leave in the morning, heading against the much larger flow of traffic that is heading into town and I have a smooth, very un-crowded drive south. Then, on the way home, I head back to Kelowna at the end of the day, when everyone else is leaving Kelowna. It's a lovely drive...against the flow of traffic.

It made me think of life...and how it's often wiser to go against the grain, and behave in ways that are opposite of the rest of the masses.

For example, when everyone else is selling their houses...perhaps I should not be selling mine....but rather - buying theirs. It's a buyer's market right now, after all.

Or when everyone else is buying stocks for investments...maybe I should not be so quick to buy, right along with them, but sell instead.

Or, when someone is selling a run-down business that has seen better days...and nobody will even look in that direction or consider it's viability because the opportunity is disguised as a 'dump'...only to be revealed and discovered through vision and hard work! Yes...that's the time to jump in and seize the opportunity...like the hostel almost 12 years ago...when everyone else is running in the other direction. Thank God nobody wanted to buy it back then, leaving it for sale for almost a year before we came cross it. I can't believe no one saw the opportunity there, just underneath the surface.

In our family, we learned to go against the grain, not to blindly follow and that "opportunity is often disguised as hard work" and great things don't always come easy and they're not always shiny and new.

I think it's that way with a lot of things. The value in a building, any item and even in people might be hidden or concealed...and we just have to uncover it to see it...Polish it up, refinish the surface areas and then look at it shine. Or...with people...listen to them, pay attention to the details, validate their concerns rather than minimize them, show that we care...show just a little thoughtfulness...and then watch them shine.

Now that's amazing.

I know this is what happens...b/c people in my life = family, friends, loved ones, God...seem to be polishing me until I shine.

Mom, thank you for polishing us till we shine...by loving us, by showing us that opportunities are often concealed as hard work and by showing us to go against the grain and not just follow the masses.

love you,
Crystal

No comments: