Sunday, September 26, 2010

Give a little...take a little


Give a little...
On Saturday I gave a speech to some runners in a "learn to run" clinic at the Running Room on goal-setting and motivation. I feel so honoured to be asked to give a speech (whether I'm paid in cash or in 30% off coupons for new runners) because there's just something so humbling, for me, in that people want to hear what I have to say.

Who knew?

Most (if not all) of what I've learned has been through experience...and it's so true that most "experience" is either gained by trial and error or through making mistakes or by sheer luck (and I'm lucky to be pretty lucky).

In my speech, I told the group some of my trials and tribulations...and how I've learned quite a bit of how to do things right...by first, doing them wrong. Completely wrong!

I shared my experience of learning to run...and my first marathon...when I was on a training run with a friend (14 years ago) and it the 20 mile run, the last big run before the race, and I had 2 gatorade bottles that I was carrying...and I didn't want to carry them both...so I drank one whole bottle of gatorade before starting the run, so I wouldn't have to carry it. It seemed like good logic at the time, but about two hours in to the run, things started to go sideways...

I bonked.

The big sugar rush (of that entire gatorade bottle) wore off and I hit the wall completely.

With an hour still to go...I walked the last 5 miles home alone...vowing never to do that again.

I shared 5 key points in my talk...
1. Have a goal. For me, to be inspired, I've got to aspire towards something.
2. Know why you're running. (I shared the story of running 100km, raising $ for the women in Africa. It was a good story. It's hard to believe we ran 100km all in one day. We're just planning our 6th annual Great Big Run For Africa right now...and in the past 5 years, we've raised over $100,000...not bad for 4 girls-a couple meetings/year-each taking turns on what's become a relay run-and laughing in the RV all day!
3. Pay attention to the stories in you're head. I shared the example of how, for my entire life, I've thought I was not a good runner, even though I've done lots of running...and how one person can make such a positive influence when they help you change the story in your head... When Eric told me I was a good runner (He had to state specific examples of my running...and I still didn't really believe it...) but during the race, I told myself "I'm a good runner!" over and over and over...and...apparently...telling myself this new story seemed to make it come true.
4. Join a group. This one was self-explanitory...Simply put - we're better together. And we can go farther (in life and on a run) when surrounded by friends.
5. Find someone that believes in you. I ended with my story of Pete and how he did his best to teach me how to swim (in 3 weeks) for my first triathlon...and I went from there, barely finishing, to the Ironman within a year.

I think I've done about 30 of these speeches, on various topics, for the Running Room. I feel very blessed to meet such amazing people; some learing to run; some elite runners; some somewhere in between...but all totally inspiring b/c they are out there running even though there's a million things that they probably need to do before the day is done. I find the "learn to run" clinic the most inspiring b/c, for these people, running is a far-off dream and they found the courage to somehow show up and give it a try!

Very cool!


And I also took some time for me. Took some time to putter around the house. Took some time to garden for a couple hours. Took some time to play with Scotia. Took some time to look at holiday destinations. Took some time to read. And Relax. Laugh with friends. Listen to Gwen in one of her fabulous performing moments. And talk with friends about ideas, dreams, my career and holiday plans!!!

I think I'm getting my career/calling sorted out! Yes - miracles do happen! Thank GOD!

I went running - ran 2 hours a couple days ago! Felt fabulous! Then, today, I went and did exercises and stretching on the dock. It was gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous!

I feel so blessed!

It feels good to give a little...and take a little.

Love you, Mom.
Can't wait to see you!
Did the Rider's win?
love Crystal

No comments: