Wednesday, September 8, 2010

We're all meant to shine!

I had a bright idea the other day....to go out night-trail-running!

It was a good idea at the time...

But, lastnight, as it was raining, with the sun down and as we made our way out to East Kelowna and got out of the vehicle with our headlamps on...it didn't quite seem as good of an idea. It was pretty dark and the shadows of the trees...and the fact that we were running out into "nowhere" was a bit scary.

It wasn't quite dark though, so we ran for about 20 minutes on an uphill trail...until we decided that it was probably far enough. I clapped the whole way, thinking that would scare any animals away.

By the time we turned around, we needed our headlamps and it was dark! As we made our way back down to the starting point, the lights of Kelowna were so beautiful. The rain stopped. The night air was warm. It was a glorious night. A night that we would never have enjoyed if we hadn't given it a try....

It was also a fun new experience!

Lots of people run in the trails at night around Kelowna. There are adventure races that go through the night. But for a first time out, this was a pretty bold adventure....all 40 minutes! :) When we were almost back to the base of the trail, 2 runners came from another trail that joined ours. They had no headlamps. They came from the abyss of darkness. They didn't look at all afraid. I was (more than) slightly in awe of their courage and ability to see in the dark!

Getting back to the car, I was glad we attempted something new, went out on a mini-adventure and faced being afraid of the dark, out there in the middle of nowhere....

It wasn't really "nowhere". I had my cell phone and there was cell service...so really, it was just slightly off the paved road and up and around the bend.

Regardless, it was a new experience and I think, without trying new experiences, being brave and finding the courage to get out of my comfort zone, how would we discover where we shine?

I think we're all meant to shine - in a big way! Growing up, Mom, you always let us try whatever we wanted, without controlling us or forcing us (except for those organ lessons!!!) (Which I am very grateful for now, by the way!) We were given lots of opportunities to discover where we could shine...and where we didn't.

I know that baseball is not where I shine. I can barely hit the ball. I know that being ultra-organized is also not where I shine. And I know that my attention to detail is not the strongest....

But I can see the big picture in most cases, very easily. I can take on most any challenge and think "I can do that!" and I love to work hard, dig deep and see what I am capable of - in most any area. These are places I shine.

It's amazing to look at all of us...your kids and grandkids...and see how different we are...and how uniquely we shine...even though we grew up the same way with your same influence.

I can hardly wait for the next few years...to see how a little more focus, a little more discipline, a little less distraction can enable me to shine brighter.

I see that "the answer is yes" and it's time to shine in new areas of interest - playing the guitar, getting a grip on this jungle, developing new (and existing) business ideas and creating new products...I'm so excited about that!

So...if the answer is "yes" to these new things....what must I say "no" to, in order to create space to shine in these areas?

If I truly want these new things, I have to say no to other things...or somehow create space to shine in new areas...

To start, I am thinking of where I spend my energy and time...and the biggest thing that I see is that I could be so much more organized. I waste so much time being disorganized....from the clothes in my closet to the garage that has yet be unpacked....
These are 2 places to start!

It's time...
Love you, Mom. Thank you for helping me shine...and for the courage to try something new...and to then turn around when I think it's time!
Love Crystal

No comments: