Saturday, July 10, 2010

You might be surprised.



Trudging through the river...it didn't really sound like something I wanted to do. After all, I'm a little clumsy and, therefore, much prefer activities that have sure-footing. For example, I'd rather run on a trail than in the bush, ride my bike on the road than on a trail, and for sure, walking up the river (IN the river) was not my idea of fun.

On such a hot day, yesterday, paddleboarding, swimming or floating on the lake sounded like a much better plan to me.

And I recalled several times over the years where hikes in the woods while camping or going on adventures with friends turned out side-ways. Once, we got so lost following the river...that eventually dried up and left us, hours later, in the middle of absolutely no where. And then there was the time that I tripped and fell, out hiking, cutting my leg disastrously.

(In retrospect, I know that I didn't faint from blood loss and I didn't need stitches, and as I write this, I can't even find the spot on my leg where I got cut, so it couldn't have been that bad!)

Anyway, something inside told me to keep quiet. Something inside said, "You might be surprised."

I was!

It was amazing. Climbing over slippery rocks was, indeed fun. In fact, it was down-right fabulous! We had so much fun! Laughing! Talking. Slipping and holding hands to get through the river. It was wonderful. MUCH more wonderful than floating on the lake could ever be!


Mom, you often said, "You might be surprised."... or...one of my personal favourites, "You might surprise yourself." ...when given the chance to try something new.

How right you were.
How right you usually are. Lastnight, attending a birthday party of a friend, listening to some of the others talk about their own experiences with their mom or mother-in law, I said out loud (even though it probably should have been only said in my own head), "Thank God for MY mom!"

It is so true! Thank God for YOU.
Love you,
Crystal

No comments: