Monday, July 12, 2010

Enough is enough.



I saw this poster at the airport in Guatemala City and just had to take a photo of it! It was a sign, calling out to me, something that has been missing in my life. I could not ignore it any longer.

Enough is enough! I thought to myself.

I pondered the question...and, to be honest, I could not remember when the last time I was out dancing until my feet hurt. And since dancing is something I absolutely LOVE, that is quite sad!

I remember a few times...dancing all night. Back in university, of course, we danced all night 2-3 times per week. I remember going into dance contests and winning pitchers of beer (that I would give to my friends) out at the bars when we were young. I loved and lived for those nights of dancing back then. Since then, I can recall a number of other nights of dancing...in Australia, at the Ironmnan party, the evening after the race, Amelie and I met a bunch of fabulous people and we literally danced ALL night, which was miraculous since we just did the IM the day before. Then there was another time out in Kelowna, where a big group of us danced until dawn, which was one of the best evenings of my life.

But these memories are few and far between.

Thinking about it, there were fewer and fewer nights of dancing, as I grew older, because I did not actively choose to make an effort to get out dancing. Sure, when I was married, my partner did not really like to dance, but that did not have to stop me. I could have gone out dancing or taken lessons on my own. I just didn't.

Well, I could continue to feel sorry for myself, and simply grin and bear it...or I could do something about it.

Better late than never, it is time to smile and change it! It is time to make up for lost time. So, in a small attempt to do this, I am going to be dancing Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights for the next 3 weeks! I am so excited that I cannot sit still!

Lastnight was my second tango lesson. It was fabulous! I had another 3.5 minute love affair with my dance teacher. I don't think my feet touched the ground!

Tonight, there will be bachata and La Rueda lessons and tomorrow...Salsa!

Enough IS enough!


Mom, this is one of your best lines! I love it! I can hear you saying it, like so many of your other famous lines. When ever you said this, it was true. It was enough. It is time to no longer, simply grin and bear it, but rather, to smile and change it. Life is too short.

Mom, you give me hope that all things are possible and I am so grateful for you.
I will think of you tonight!
Love Crystal

PS: I thought of some of my favourite movies...and while not all of my favourite movies are about dancing, many are. I loved Grease, Dirty Dancing, Footloose (of course) and Shall We Dance, with Richard Gere was outstanding and completely inspiring!

In honour of the next 3 weeks, I think I am going to rent these movies and dance in the dining room!




No comments: