Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Let me help you!"...he said.

With a calm sort of persistence mixed with assurance, he said...
"Let me help you."

A friend and I were out on a 3 hour bike ride, training for the race, and we were out in East Kelowna, Mom, where the orchards are and all the fruit trees, by Galagher's Canyon. Well, we took a million different roads, some that were dead-ends, some that went up and then down and around and around...and then we took this one road that neither of us had been on. It was a little quiet road, lined with trees. There were no cars! It was awesome! We figured it would take us out Hwy 33 by Rutland...and it was a fabulous steep descent!! Perfect!

Did I mention that it was a really steep descent?

Well, we got to the bottom..and found ourselves at...the Creek! The river! In a trailer park! There was NO way out...except to go back UP the way we came down!

Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!
My second thought was that I would be walking up the long steep hill, in my bike shoes, no less! My first thought can't be repeated here!

My friend went further down the hill so he could turn around and get some speed to start the climb and switch into easier gears. I was not about to go down any further b/c I'd have to just climb back up...so I turned around on the spot and tried to down-shift (into easier gears) on the ascent.

It didn't work.

I had to get off my bike and hand pedal the wheel until the gears fell into place. Then I got back on my bike and started to pedal, trying to click my bike shoes into the pedals as I crept up the hill, moving sooooo slowly. Those first few pedal strokes are really needed to get some speed and you need to click in to the pedals to get that speed...but on such a steep incline, it was nearly impossible (for me)!

It's like the chicken and the egg concept...which comes first? The chicken or the egg? Clicking into the pedals or gaining speed - you sort of need one to be able to do the other.

You can imagine what happened...considering that I'm not really the most graceful person on the planet. I might be light on my feet, dancing, but I can be very clumsy too!

This was one of those clumsy moments...

For the record, I DID get my shoe clicked into the pedal!

And that's when it sort of went "sideways"! Worse than NOT getting your shoe into the pedal contraption...is actually getting it clicked INTO PLACE...while not moving at all, going on a steep incline, with tired legs.

At a practial stand-still, I fell over, b/c I could not get going fast enough and I couldn't maintain my balance any more, while trying to pedal uphill.

I hit the pavement and was totally sprawled out, on and under my bike, on the road, when my friend looked back, sort of horrified! He was a ways ahead of me and turned around to come all the way back down to help me.

Completely unhurt (except for a little bruise on my ego...haha!), I picked myself back up and tried again. I couldn't get going.

My friend said, "Let me help you!" I didn't really want the help b/c I thought I should be able to get up on my own.

The truth was that I couldn't. I needed help. I needed a push so I could get some speed so I could then get my shoes clicked in...

And with that, he walked behind me and gave me a push to get me going so that I was able to keep going. I couldn't really look back to see if he was able to get going, or I'd probably fall over again, but before I could gasp even a few breaths of air, he was beside me and we made it back up the steep hill, together, making a mental note never to take that road again.

It was a fabulous little detour, a sort of mishap, but more of a great moment, than a mishap. It was funny. Falling off my bike. Needing a push (like when I was about 4 years old) to get started again. Laughing about it...once we got back up. It was hilarious, really!

I'm thankful for that little push and that I let someone help me. It felt good to receive help. I'm sure it felt good to be helpful. This, too, is what life's about. Making each other's world's better by helping each other up when needed and laughing about it afterwards. No ego. No mishaps. Every moment is perfect. and a perfect opportunity to grow and learn and laugh together. Maybe living intentionally is about letting someone help me today.

Mom, I'm sure you and Don help one another every day...and let the other help. I am so happy that the two of you are together. You give me so much hope. And right now, I'm overflowing with it. Thank you!

Love your clumsy #8!
Crystal

PS: Also for the record...if it was my friend that needed a push on his bike, I'd be there! (Down in that trailer park, though, I'd never get out...I'd have to either walk up that hill, hitch a ride or be air-lifted out of there. So...if you don't hear from me for a few days this summer, Mom,...you'll know I took a wrong turn and where I am. :)

No comments: