Thursday, July 15, 2010

Character building opportunities

Tonight, I am pouring over numbers, bank balances and planning for the next several months and figuring out what to do next.

I'm a bit stressed (a slight understatement). However, I do have faith that everything will work out perfectly as it is supposed to...Apparently...just not on the timeline I was hoping for. Right now, I'm a bit stressed financially with the new house, an old house that has not sold and a condo that has yet to close on it's sale.

I'm stretched!

Mom - NO, this is not a hint that I need a loan. I'm going to be totally fine! But this process of tightening up considerably is teaching me a thing or two, that I've learned before...but seemed to have forgotten in the last couple years!

I'm being reminded of and having to behave in ways that I am very familiar with from several years of those "character building" lean years, incorporating...
- Strict money management
- Tight budgets
- Absolutely no overspending or unneeded purchases
- solid planning and attention to details

I say all this...but I'm still living in luxury compared to 12 years ago...when money was so lean, the interest (only) on the hostel mortgage was $3000/month. I actually still cannot believe we made it through that...or that the bank even gave us the $ to begin with. (Or that you let us get into that situation Mom! haha)

We were blessed back then. And we still are. Blessed with family, friends, health, and a humble strength as well as courage and a willingness to dream big and imagine "what IF"! Blessed with conviction (otherwise known as stubbornness), a fabulous attitude (otherwise known as naive optimism) and character building opportunities (otherwise known as challenges)!

When I get into situations like this, where I'm nervous or stressed about something, I have often thought of you, sitting at the kitchen table, making some sort of list. There were usually two columns on your lists - grocery lists, packing lists for the beach, etc. And the columns had a top half and a bottom half...and while I don't know your rationale or why/how you had your lists laid out, I remember the fact that you made lists and these lists seemed to work very well for you.

So I did what I learned from you...I made my lists tonight...of money matters, things I need to do, etc, ....all to get it out of my head and on to paper, alleviating 1/2 of my stress just by doing this activity.

I feel better already, Mom. Thank you!
And really, if I seriously think about it, one thing is for sure...the bank must believe in me greatly b/c they have loaned me so much money...mortgages, lines of credit, interim financing (until my condo sale closes)...whew! If I didn't believe in myself, I just need to look to them! They sure seem to believe in me! ;)

And making lists helps me focus on these moments and think of them as character building opportunities rather than challenges!

I love you, Mom.
Crystal

No comments: