Monday, July 26, 2010

Scrub the corners

Today I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the corners of two of the bathrooms at the hostel with a scrub brush.

And I loved every moment!

I spent about 40 minutes scrubbing two bathrooms, from top to bottom, while working from 7am - 1pm in the hostel! It was fabulous! Better than fabulous, actually! It was truly fulfilling...to clean, scrub, wash, chat with customers, help them and teach a girl from Korea to make pancakes and have her laugh at my broken-Korean words... not to mention my terrible french on the phone to a French-speaking person who wanted to make a reservation.

I felt joy. I shared joy. I inspired joy.

The time flew by...b/c I was so busy trying to do my best...so busy scrubbing the corners...and so busy making the most of every moment.

Mom, it reminds me of how you used to teach us and tell us "how" to do things (not "what" to do...but rather, how to do things). You were never into a quick-clean. If we were to do anything, it should be done thoroughly...without major short-cuts or half-done tasks.

It's been the best year on record for the hostel and it is entirely due to the team...who do the most increidble job...b/c they scrub the corners...not just in the bathrooms, but in their daily actions...whatever they do, they seem to do things so very thoroughly...with great joy, no matter what it is that they are doing...and that attracts the customers that seem to come and never want to leave.

The creator and instigator of this amazing team is David, my Australian brother, who continues to absolutely leave in awe with his skills, ability and by simply being just who he is!

It's another day that is going by, and yet again, I find myself saying thank you. Not for a healthy body today and tailwinds...but thank you to my team, who truly amaze me and humble me with their work ethic, joy-filled natures and corner-scrubbing talents.

Mom, you would love the scrub brushes (small ones, just like you have) that get in the corners so easily!

I love you.
Crystal

No comments: