Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It came from my mother!

I have a certain amount of appreciation for others. It didn't come from Buddhism, it came from my Mother.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

I think my appreciation for others came from my mother, too.

Little gestures, small simple gifts given (with a much larger and deeper meaning), and thought-filled (and usually home-made) items shared with others (like my (well....your) famous cookies or the latest newly famous rhubarb-cherry crumble)...all of these things somehow have been either been taught by or inspired by my mother.

About a week or two ago, I took a little pad of pink, heart shaped "sticky notes" to some friends' place of work and pasted them all over the front window and door. I didn't leave a note or anything, so they would never know it was me that decorated their window...and the next morning when everyone got to work, they would be greeted by a bunch of love hearts and a whole lot of anonymous appreciation. I was so excited for the next morning to arrive and for my friends to get to work...

...I think it's that way for those little thought-filled gestures...the gift is in the giving.

And the gift of giving definitely came from my mother.

Mom, it wasn't until yesterday that I ran into my friends. I told Brenda that I came by last week to "drop off a bunch of love but no one was here". When she realized it was me that put the sticky notes all over the window, she laughed. They had no idea who it was. But they loved the little hearts everywhere. The sun shone in and made little heart shapes all over the floor and their desk. It was also a special day at their office so the timing was serendipitously perfect.

I'm going to start an "Anonymous Appreciation Movement" with the little love hearts and keep a bunch of these sticky notes in my car for spontaneous moments. To kick it off, early this morning, I pasted Gwen's car with little pink hearts too. I hope she likes it. I put one (only one) on Rob's truck, too.

Mom, thank you for all of your gifts that you have shared with me...thank you for apprceciating me and for all the times when I need you and you are there. I appreciate you so very much.
Love you,
Crystal
PS: these are for you.

No comments: