Saturday, October 23, 2010

The class I was blessed to work with this past week was, indeed, the absolute best class I've taught in a decade! And I think I was a better facilitator because of them and how extraordinary they were.

They were focused. Determined. Honest. Genuine. Supportive of one another and of me. Passionate about their business ideas. Talented and skilled at their own expertise. Eager to learn. Eager to share their ideas. And they all had great senses of humour and created a dynamic and fun atmosphere.

The entire week was just one great day after another and the excellent discussion, the ideas generated and the pure JOY that was present every day astounded me! This was, after all, a business program.

I implemented some new ideas throughout the week, tried some new stuff and did things a little differently than usual. (I think I'll continue to do those different things in the future.)

This incredible week made me realize how important it is not to get stuck in my old way of doing things, the way I've always done them...and it gave me confidence to add new and unique concepts (that I love) to my week, that, although are related to business, are actually much more about the "bigger picture" in life....like dreams...joy...happiness... and our purpose or calling.

I think we're all called to do something great in life...not just 'get by'.

I was exhausted by Friday night b/c it was such a big week...and I gave it everything I had. Most days, I arrived to my classroom and never left, until the end of the day, even to go to the washroom. It was just non-stop from the moment I arrived until the moment I said, at the end of the day "My brain has reached it's capacity for the day. I don't know about yours. Get out of here." And then I would bolt to the washroom, realizing I had not gone all day b/c I was so busy and focused on what we were doing all day.

I still remember the day, decades ago, when I was in university and Kate was teaching a class in Saskatoon to some other teachers...and she was at the overhead projector (we don't use those any more) and I stood at the very back of the room and thought to myself, "I want to be like her and do what she's doing one day." I distinctly remember her red dress that went to just above the knee with short sleeves. Funny...Cindy has a blue dress I think that's very similar and I bought a navy blue dress exactly the same.

This morning, as I revamped my workbook, in preparation for the next program, I am excited to bring new and innovative ideas to the program and not just keep them in my other non-business programs. Business and life are not so separate. They're really one and the same...and it's our 'business that should serve us. We are not meant to be a servant to our business.'

Mom, I learned this from you. When we were little, playing in the tires at the tire shop, where you were doing the books, it seemed, even then, that it wasn't about a job or the books. It was a part of your life...but not your life.

Thank you for helping me to see the big picture...that work and business are to serve our lives, family and dreams...we really aren't meant to be a servant (for too long) to the business.

Love you,
Crystal

No comments: