Sunday, October 24, 2010

Idea + Fabulous Friends = Change the World!

The 6th annual Great Big Run For Africa was today!!!!!!

My friend Steph, came to me 6 years ago, in 2005, and said, "I have an IDEA...and if you don't say YES...no one else will...so you have to say yes!"

That was all it took for me...feeling very special that I was the only one for some idea she had in mind. And then she told me about her idea!

Run 100km for women in Africa....inspired by our other friend Alison's speech and recent visit to Africa where she found women living in conditions we couldn't imagine, with nothing - nothing to raise their families on!

That was 5 years ago....and today was our 6th annual "Great Big Run For Africa". We didn't run the whole 100km this time. Just 10km each for everyone one the relay and we laughed and chatted with fellow-runners or in the RV. I couldn't stay all day b/c I had to get ready to go to Edmonton tomorrow but it was a great day!!!

Here's a photo from last year when we finished!


Our other friend, Nicole, kept the dream of our run alive this year by taking on much of the work on her own when the rest of us said that maybe the natural course of the run had taken it's course....and the run went well. Next year, I said it was my turn and volunteered to be the lead organizer. Next year...we're going to take the run to a whole new level! I'm not sure of a financial fundraising goal...but I made a commitment and was intentional about it.

I think it's what I was called to do. I knew it before today, when we almost let our effort of the past 5 years be forgotten.

I'm excited to see where we could take the event that we've all come to love - for the cause...and for the chance for old friends to reconnect...something that some of us only do once a year on our Great Big Run day!

I feel grateful to be surrounded by such inspiring and strong women...who are filled with ideas AND who bring them to life, balancing families, work and their personal lives at the same time.

It makes me realize that anything is possible...even changing the world...if we have an idea and a group of fabulous friends to help us bring it to life!

Mom, love you.
Thank you for who you are and for telling me when I was in highschool, "Be careful who your friends are and who you spend your time with." You were so right!
Love Crystal

No comments: