Monday, August 23, 2010

Get some rest!

This is how I woke up this morning...with two little paws gently touching my face and the sound of a diesel engine in my ear. It was 6:30am and the sun beamed into my bedroom...and Scotia smothering me with fur and love.

I knew I needed a good rest.
I could feel it.
There was no denying it or escaping it.
It was overdue and I'm so glad I finally listened to the voice in my head, saying "Get some rest.".

Feeling like I've been running low on gas the past week, tired (inside and out), both mentally and physically, I finally decided to slow down, put the brakes on, turn off the phone and rest!

Lastnight I had the best sleep, after a 90 minute run. A fast and fabulous run, by the way!! (I can only pray that I'll feel the same way in the race next weekend!) And yesterday, I took a nap for two hours in the afternoon, not sleeping the entire time, but slowing down, relaxing, visualizing the race and then falling asleep daydreaming of the swim in the Ironman. It was lovely. When I woke up, I felt so much better and had such a good feeling in my chest - about the race and about life. It felt so good!

And then, feeling totally indulgent, I lay down in the livingroom and watched a Disney movie...at 4:00 in the afternoon, called The Cinderella Story, and stretched. It was so relaxing...and uplifting. I love happy ending movies that just fill my spirit.

One of the lines in the movie, referring to baseball, was
"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."


How true...in baseball...and in life.

On the weekend, a bunch of friends were in the mini-triathlon and it was inspiring to see them overcome their fears and "get in the game". It reminded me of myself, 9 years ago, when I was at the start line of this very same race...filled with fear and doubt and so naive. I laugh to myself, even now, as I think about finishing 10th LAST in the race. Thank God I didn't know how slow I was. (Sometimes 'ignorance IS bliss'!) I was talking with a friend in the race this weekend and she mentioned that 9 years ago, she was supposed to do the triathlon with me...but jammed out. I had completely forgotten about it. She is now finally overcoming her fear of swimming. I was really proud of her b/c 9 year ago, we talked about our fear of swimming.

It's amazing how one decision...to get in the game, and overcome the fear of striking out...can change your life. It has certainly changed mine.

Feeling good, both mentally and physically, and getting some rest is helping me overcome my current fears about the race next weekend. I know that if I go into the race feeling healthy, physically, and strong, mentally, I'll be OK. It's true that I've not trained enough...but my body knows what to do. It will remember. I'm so excited to get to the start line. To discover what I'm made of. To smile. To struggle. To silently pray for myself and everyone else to have the best day of our lives. And to step over that finish line...SMILING big and dancing.

Now...if only I can fit into my wetsuit that I bought 9 years ago. It appears that in 9 years, I've gained about about 5 pounds. My wetsuit has always been tight...but it's really tight right now. I feel like Scotia, trying to wedge her little body into this space beneath the shelves in my closet...


I love you, Mom.
Thank you for the little voice in my head, uttering the words, "Get some rest." because these are your words and usually the solution to most everything. With rest...we can do most anything. And whether we strike out or hit a home run, it doesn't really matter.
Love Crystal

No comments: