Monday, March 29, 2010

Eat some protien and get some sleep!

And that's exactly what I did this weekend!

After flying home with Gwen at noon on Saturday, I went home and slept on and off until Sunday at noon!

I needed it! I was exhausted!

After the Gala on Friday night, I was up until 5:30am making sure that all that I could do was done; everything in storage; money raised at the event was safe and secure; bags were pretty much packed, etc. Then I crawled into bed beside Gwen (we shared a hotel room all week) and crashed/slept hard for almost 2 hours, until it was time to get up. Kate stayed an extra day to spend it with her daughter Ashley, who came from Montreal for the Gala.

I made a few rounds down the hallway at the hotel, knocking on doors, saying goodbye to nieces/nephews and just before we left, we had a few minutes of sister-bonding time with Kate, Cindy, Gwen and myself in the hotel restaurant. I think our brothers were still fast asleep since they didn't hear my knock at their doors and they were not down for breakfast.

Gwen and I drove the 30 min to the store to drop off some things before heading to the airport. We were both exhausted. We talked about how flawless the event went, did a "high-5" with eachother and then she said, "no more talking - I have to nap".

We made it to our flight. Slept. Got back to Kelowna and I think we both had afternoon naps and spent most of Saturday asleep, smiling.

It's Monday morning and I finally feel like I'm back in the land of the living. Saturday and Sunday were a blur.

Where does living intentionally take me today?

It takes me back to taking care of my body...which I forgot about the past 4 or 5 days! My first few days in Edmonton were great - I worked out last Friday -to Monday - but then, work took over and I didn't make time to exercise, eat right or take care of the engine that takes me where I want and need to go the remainder of the week. And I certainly didn't get enough sleep!

So...here we go!
Time to reconsider and review the questions that make up the foundation of life...4 simple questions that I learned in a self-development program years ago:
1. what am I putting into my body?
2. what am I doing with my body?
3. what am I putting into my mind?
4. am I following my life's calling or purpose?

With that...I start my day, wrapping up my last project, the Gala, with a bow, breathing, and beginning the next one...the Diva Retreat!

Mom, I remember when I moved to Kelowna in February of 1995. It was February 12th. I drove into town at dark. I had my apartment that I rented, organized, and I picked up the keys. When I opened the door, though, it was so cold. The heat had not been turned on. I was freezing! I went out to the Safeway a few blocks away and I can remember calling you from the pay phone, inside the store, that was situated right next to the chicken rotisserie. I can remember the smell of baked chicken so easily. When I called you, I was tired, hungry, crying and alone. You said two things that have been medicine for me to this day.

You said, "Eat some protein" and "Go get some sleep"!

I did just that. I bought one of those chickens that were going 'round and 'round in the glass-doored rotisserie along with some oranges. Then, I went home, made myself a bed with some blankets on the floor, sat and ate, had a bath (the water was steaming hot) and fell asleep until morning.

Life always seems better when you're warm, not tired and when you've had enough protein.

Thanks, Mom.
Love you,
Crystal

No comments: