Monday, March 1, 2010

Happiness...



I saw this sign yesterday when I got back from Edmonton and it just made me smile!

What it says is true.

Happiness is not something we pursue...it is something we create!

Mom, you created a lot of happiness when we were growing up. It wasn't something you pursued at all. It came from within you. Happiness in such simple things. Whether you made grilled cheese sandwiches or mushroom soup or macaroni and cheese whiz with wieners in it for lunch...coming home at lunch from elementary school was always a happy time. Always. We were so lucky. You were always happy at lunch and some of those memories are so simple but so wonderful for me. I remember when we would come home for lunch sometimes, and the bunny rabbit (that had a cage downstairs or in the garage) was inside with you...at your feet in the kitchen. (Now we know where Gwen gets it! :) We had so many simple, happy moments that I can remember. Even when we were in high school, getting ready for school in the morning, and you were at the kitchen window, watching for the bus...ready to holler, "GIRLS, The bus is coming! RUN!" We'd be racing out the door, books, coats and curls flying... Looking back, some of those moments that seemed like nothing then, were among the happiest b/c they were so filled with love. And then all the memories at the cabin....playng cards, playing on the trampoline, sitting on the swing, water-skiing, sitting on the boathouse...there are too many to even think about...or getting to Newfoundland and having drinks and celebrating on George Street after the bike trip. Mom...happiness was certainly something you created....

All of this has taught me so much b/c I realize that it comes from within me too. I create it. Of course, I spent time out pursuing what I wanted over the years...only to realize that everything that I was out searching for was actually within me all along. It's been an amazing journey over the past 10 years or so, and in this time, I've clearly realized and celebrated the fact that happiness, joy and the sparkle in my eyes comes from within me (completely) and isn't caused by some external reason or event. Understanding this has been instrumental in so many ways. I cannot tell you how many people have said to me, "if you could bottle up your energy and sell it, you'd be rich."

How cool is that.

Happiness is inside of us...it's there for us to simply tap into and share.

This idea that 'happiness is something we create' reminds me of one of my absolute favourite books! The Alchemist, by Pablo Coehlo. It was so powerful when I read it many years ago and several times since then. It's a fable about following your dream. It's one of those timeless books that everyone really must read in their lifetime.

Tonight, I'm working, baking cookies (to procrastinate from work) and planning the next few days before I leave for Mexico and Guatemala on Thursday. My life is busy the next 6 weeks. Very busy. And all I would really like to do is be at home. But I get to choose to be happy (or not) and I get to create it for those around me...if I want to.

Today was an extraordinary day. Actually the past weeks have been. And I couldn't have seen this sign down on Pandosy Street at a better time.

The other day, my mom and I were talking and she said that she's really been enjoying this blog and tuning in every morning to read her latest post....and how glad she was to read a little every day rather than just receive a big book at the end of the year with all of these posts in it. Hearing this from my mom was probably the greatest thing that happened to me all week. With a few simple words, sharing a bit of her own happiness...it's a moment I will never, ever forget.

And then tonight I received the most wonderful, beautiful message from a friend and she called me a "ray of sunshine" and wrote some things that just meant so much to me. Just a few words. Creating a bit of happiness and sharing it with me....THIS IS WHAT LIFE'S ABOUT!

It makes me stop and think..."How can I create a bit of happiness - in my own life...and also in the lives of those around me?" Not by doing anything extravagant or spending any money...just a tiny gesture, thought, a few words, a phone call...something so simple....

Hence...making cookies...and sharing them. Just a little thought that hopefully creates a little moment of happiness for those around me.

Mom, you really are the most inspiring, amazing person I know.
I am so grateful.

Today I had lunch with a friend and she lost her mom a few years ago to cancer. My heart aches for her. I cannot imagine what that would be like...
What I do know is that I am the luckiest daughter in the world to have a mom like you, who taught me that happiness comes from within and we get to create it...just by making grill cheese sandwiches or mushroom soup for lunch!
Love you,
Crystal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found a quote:
"Only fools go searching for happiness. If you want happiness ... be happy!"

You ARE a ray of sunshine Crystal and although I don't know your Mom, I feel like I sit down with her every morning and share a cup of tea as we read your blog on a daily basis ... together.

Much love and hugs to you Crystal for the next six busy weeks!

Here's to HAPPY! Love ya!
Marlene Weller