Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Creating our opus.

A long time ago, I saw the movie, Mr Holland's Opus. It is one of those movies that you just never forget. It's inspiring, dramatic, heart-felt and moving. I could see myself in the characters and it caused me to think about my own "opus" or "life's work". The dictionary definition of opus is a "great work, especially a literary or artistic masterpiece".

In terms of one's "opus", I think LIFE could be that "great artistic masterpiece".

After seeing the movie, I started a group called, "The Opus Group". It's a gathering where friends get together to do anything motivating or inspiring - from making vision boards to painting. Every one's invited. Friends, friends of friends, and strangers who become new friends.



We don't meet very often but when we do, it's always wonderful.

My friend Rosanne is usually part of The Opus Group. We've known each other for years. Probably a decade or more. We're the kind of friends that you don't have to see each other or talk to one another every day - but we're always there for one another. And we're the kind of friends that tell each other the truth - even if it hurts.

It was Rosanne's basement suite that I moved into when I got divorced. She's the one who picked me up off the floor or the couch and got me outside, where the sun was shining, when I couldn't do it on my own at that time and I think I helped her find hope when she needed it. I'm so grateful for this friendship!

About a year and a half ago, we were talking about our wants, dreams, goals.....of getting married, having kids and everything in between.

What a difference a year makes!

Yesterday, I went to Rosanne's to help her...into her wedding dress. She's getting married in a few weeks and wanted to make sure it still fit...b/c she and her fiance are having a baby! TOTALLY AMAZING! I am so excited for her!


It's been said before that life's like a blank canvas and we are the artist who gets to paint whatever they want it on it. It's true. I'm so excited that Rosanne's masterpiece is looking exactly as she dreamed it to be.




Mine is too. Just at a different pace. But I have a lot of faith that I'm on the right track! I've never been more sure of my life's work or where it is leading me. I've never had so much faith in God either. Perhaps there's a correlation.

For the record, Mom - NO - I'm not getting married and I'm NOT pregnant! You'll be the first to know! :) I promise!
Love you, Mom.
Thank you for the incredible masterpiece you have painted with your life and for the inspiration to be brave and create my own opus, too.
Love Crystal

No comments: