Saturday, March 13, 2010

No drama...

There was no drama. No complicated behaviour. No complicated anything. Just the truth.

Growing up in our house was easy. You knew where you stood. There was no drama and you never had to read between the lines b/c there was nothing written there. I never realized how fortunate we were growing up until now, as I become aware of the drama that exists in so many households. I feel very very grateful for my life and for how we grew up...

I feel so grateful Mom, for the space you created at home, for all of us to feel loved, to feel welcome (always), to feel safe, to feel supported and encouraged, and to always come back to.

Coming home and living in your basement was "plan B" if the hostel business failed or the treeplanting company failed. This is a photo of doing some winter work out in the bush in those early years. We were literally in the middle of nowhere and the truck was actually stuck. Ater trying for hours, to get un-stuck, we gave up. We waited for hours past nightfall to be rescued. The other crew, working in a different area got back to town that night and when we didn't return by 9 or 10pm, they came looking for us. The shine of those headlights as they came upon us was almost enough to make me cry. Those days were cold and dark, figuratively and literally, when Plan B seemed like it was to be the only viable plan.

It's a good think it all worked out but Plan B would not have been a bad option either. Hmmm...I never knew how lucky we were. We'd move home every summer from university and we were always welcome. You never charged us rent. You always had a full fridge and as you were leaving for the beach and I'd be in the city for the week, working cutting grass for the cemetery, there would be some home-made something for me to take for lunches. All I ever had to do was help you load the car with groceries and there would be some more kids at the beach ready to help you unload when you got there!

Mom, you taught us so well that drama wasn't the way to get anything, that being a drama queen was not a way to get attention, playing games wasn't allowed and that life wasn't supposed to be complicated. It was supposed to be enjoyed. Filled with hugs. A full fridge. Kindness. Thoughtful gestures. And truth.

I was just at the hostel tonight for one of the staff member's birthday parties and I think your perspective and way of running the house when we were kids is the same way I run the hostel. Exactly the same. No drama. No need to read between the lines. The truth and honesty. Always. A solid work ethic in exchange for total freedom. No micro-managing. Ever. Thoughtful gestures and all kinds of food given or bought for the team. A total open-door policy (literally...since the staff have keys to my house and total use of the suite in the basement when they want to get away from the hostel for some quiet time). I feel a great sense of pride in realizing I'm a lot like my mom! I sure had a good teacher! Thank you Mom.

Mom, I love you.
Thank you so much for EVERYTHING...including the option of Plan B!!!
Love Crystal

No comments: