Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Let go...

Sometimes it's good to just "Let go..."

It's Wednesday night and we're in the middle of an enormous week, planning the gala. It's 12:30am. Gwen and Kate are still bantering back and forth about a million different topics and I am (trying to ignore Gwen's non-stop jokes), sitting at my computer at 12:30am, pouring over ballroom floorplans, details, to-do lists and the script for the MC.

I realize that living intentionally is about "letting go" today. It would be impossible to try to hold on to everything and do it all. Not that I would want to. That would be crazy! Instant stress. A serious fun-buster!

That would not be good...especially because the name of the game...is to have fun!

The name of the game IS to have fun. And with Gwen around...it certainly is.

Life is so much easier when I don't hold on too tightly. When I let things flow. When we're surrounded by a great team and everyone works together, with no one really controlling everything. Everyone just does their part...

Kate has taken over the silent auction items, categorizing them, organizing them...she's so detail-oriented!
Gwen is in charge of table centerpieces and all creativity. She finds creative solutions for everything.
Rocky and Mark have taken care of all live auction items and a million other things.
Corinne has been in charge of purchasing most of the auction items.
Syndy is in charge of all ticket sales and hotel room bookings and we've worked together on the master plan and big picture. She is one of the most committed and hardest workers I know. I'm in awe.

Connecting the different areas together...together, we will create the most amazing event for over 400 guests. I see everyone else doing so much and I wonder, "what am I doing". I'm sort of involved a little everywhere, taking care of details, finalizing things, making some inspiring videos to show at the event, and liaising with everyone for the MC script, agenda, etc. I am learning that I have an ability to "hold a vision" for something...and then as a team, everyone brings it to life. It's humbling to be around such focus, strong work-ethic and action of everyone.

The simple concept of letting go is another secret ingredient, in addition to HUMOUR and finding something to laugh at, at least 20, 30 or 40 times/day.


Today, I remind myself to...

Let go...

Let go of perfection. Control. Having to do it all. Let go of knowing how something is to get done and focus, instead, on just that it gets done. (Firm on principles - flexible on method.) Let go of the clock. Let go of my own specific agenda. Let go of seriousness. Let go of the need to be right. Let go...

And...

Embrace the vision. Embrace friendship. Embrace fun. Embrace laughter - on the hour, every hour and as many times as possible in between. Embrace connection. Embrace helping one another. Embrace slowing down, even just for a moment. Embrace eating well and exercising. Embrace creativity and different ways of doing things.

And when the work is done on Friday night, and the music starts...embrace dancing!

This photo was taken two years ago at the gala. I'm hoping for at least an hour of dancing with my brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, old friends and new friends on Friday night....


This is a photo from last year. Can you believe this is your family? Wow! The countdown is on! Everyone starts arriving today!

Mom,
Love you...
We'll take lots of photos!
love Crystal
PS Your other two daughters are hilarious...and the hardest workers I've ever seen!

No comments: