Sunday, March 21, 2010

The 3 best things...

Today, I woke up to the sound of that little "ping" on my phone...when someone sends you a text. All the text said was "good morning".

It is. Thank you. The sun is shining in my heart and head as well as outside. I feel fit and healthy and as I did a few stretches this morning, I realize how lucky I am to have this body that serves me so well.


I'm realizing that, every day, of the past 3 months of writing this blog for my mom, that it's the "little things" that are what living intentionally is all about. It's not some big, new, massive enlightenment or huge action or shift.

It's the little things.

Little things...that are really the big things.

Lastnight, an amazing girl I work with here in Edmonton, invited me over to their place for supper. It was so much fun. It was like going to a family member's home. They have the most wonderful, easygoing, relaxed and loving "way". I felt so welcome. It was wonderful. They have 2 dogs (and a 3rd gorgeous dog that unfortunately passed away this past summer that was with them for 10 or 15 years...and they have a cat too! They also have a daughter that i didn't get to meet as she was away for the weekend.

I just gotta get back to their cat. It was gorgeous! 30 pounds of gorgeous personality and fur! When I first came in to their home, this loving, purring bundle wrapped itself around my legs and then flipped over on my feet, wanting me to rub it's belly. OMG...i was in Heaven. I picked up the kitty and held it in my arms, hugging it close. Fur everywhere. Purring louder than a diesel engine (me - and, well, the cat was purring too!) :)

Anyway, the cat went outside...and in March in Edmonton...with white fur...not good...there's only one thing that's gonna happen when it comes inside...mud. dirt. everywhere.

So, Syndy and Clayton decided that, rather than deal with the mud and mess, it would be better to bath the cat. Now...I've never seen a cat being bathed before. Certainly not a 30 pound cat. But in the sink it went and out it came all clean and white again!


We laughed. The kitty didn't think it was that funny.

Being a part of Syndy and Clayton's home for the evening, and a part of their lives, outside of work, was truly wonderful. We ate. Talked. Laughed. I learned more about them. Like the fact that Syndy can play the piano so well that it gave me tingles and shivers on the back of my neck. Or that the two of them are renovating their home, by themselves, room by room. Very cool.

It was a wonderful evening and as I got back to my hotel, I pondered the 3 best things that happened to me today.

My sister, also named Cindy, but spelled differently, shared with me a ritual that she and her husband do every day. They have done it for years.

Each night, as they go to bed, they tell eachother the 3 best things that happened to them that day. VERY COOL IDEA!

The benefits of this little ritual are immeasurable. It would be a great reminder of all the wonderful things that happen each day. A perfect way to end the day, thinking about good things. It would create a feeling of gratitude. It would reduce worry, tension and stress. It would lead to a better sleep...which would lead to a better feeling upon waking up the next morning...wow...so many benefits!

I can imagine doing this with someone.
(Fleeting thoughts inside my head..."Gee, I hope to do this with someone for the rest of my life." ....another fleeting thought...."Live for today....not 10 years from now. Enjoy today and this moment."....another fleeting thought...."Patience. Patience! Good things come to those who wait." ...followed by another fleeting thought..."Wait....yes...but for how long?"....Hmmm....yet another fleeting thought...."my mother said she waited until she was 70!"....last fleeting thought...."Oh dear,that's way too long to wait!")

Dear GOD...can you do something about this?
Pulll-eaasssseeeeee!


So....the 3 best things that happened to me today...
1. Going for dinner at Syndy and Clayton's.
2. Working out and exercising until my but hurt. It's such a good feeling to be healthy enough to exercise.
3. Conversations with a few, very significant people in my life who make me think, feel and feel grateful that our paths have crossed. Whether it's for a reason, season or a lifetime, I'm so grateful and blessed to share this path right now. It's nice to be there for one another, to listen, share, help one another and grow.
4. Talking with my friend Mel today about our DIVA retreat and finalizing some of those details.

That's more than 3 but that's what comes to mind.

When I'm at home, one of the best parts of my day is Scotia. She's a light-weight compared to Syndy and Clayton's cat. She's only 20 pounds. And that's a lot! Scotia is truly one of the greatest parts of my day...filling it with love and affection. And so much more.




















Mom, I hope you have a wonderful day. One of the greatest parts of my day, every day, is thinking of you, writing your blog, hoping you are enjoying it. Hoping you know how much you are loved and appreciated!

Love you,
Crystal

No comments: