Sunday, March 28, 2010

What it means to be "blessed".

What does it mean to be "blessed"?
Well, being "blessed" means a lot of things...
It's also NOT a lot of things....
It's not always easy and it doesn't come easy, either. It's not without effort. It's certainly not for the faint of heart. It's part "God-given" and part "self-perseverance". At least that's what my mom says.
I remember my mom saying, more times than I can count, "Perseverance. Perseverance."
Yes, being blessed is part God-given and part perseverance. And at different times....the ratio of these two ingredients changes. Sometimes, I think we're blessed - 100% by God. Other times, I think we need to put in 100% perseverance to be blessed. Most of the time, I think it's a mix of the two...

Here's a little of what being blessed means to me...

It means that I'm never alone. (I had so much help this week from my sisters in planning this event along with everyone at work.) I'm surrounded by love and support. (There was never a moment that I felt like all the load was only on my shoulders. Everyone supported the vision to coordinate a flawless event.) I'm given grace (forgiveness) when I am not perfect. (I was really busy and nobody minded that I didn't always have time for them this week.) Being blessed means that it's OK to ask for help and that help is given without a moment's delay. (When I needed help during the gala, I went to my nieces and nephews and asked them for help...and instantly they were there, with their boyfriends/girlfriends, going above and beyond to do what I needed. I was so grateful!) Being blessed, for me, means that I'm grateful for what I have and that I have what I need. (I think our whole family felt grateful for eachother on Friday night. I think we felt grateful to be born into this blessed family. We have so much more than we need in every way....love, security, health, a positive attitude, a feeling of gratitude, a belief that anything is possible and the desire to make a difference in the world in our own way.) Being blessed also means happiness, joy, fun and laughter! (We had a whole lot of that on Friday night, just being in eachothers presence!)

Mom, we missed you. But you were there every moment - with 8 of your 10 kids...and all those grandkids...that are sooo "all grown up" now!
My God, Mom. You have a very blessed family...thanks to your perseverance and God-given blessing.
Love you,
Crystal









PS: which two of your grandkids are here?

No comments: