Sunday, March 7, 2010

Have something to cheer for!


To live intentionally...is to have something to cheer for. To support. That creates community. That inspires!

Coming from Saskatchewan, there is nothing greater to cheer for, to support, that creates community or that is as inspiring...as the Saskatchewan Roughriders!

You can leave the province...but if you're from SK, your blood is always green!
;)

As St. Patrick's Day approaches...and in honour of the soccer game going on here at the pub in the Mexico City Airport (where they have free internet), I am surrounded by cheering soccer fans! (I am sending this post now that I have arrived in Guatemala - in the colonial town of Antigua - but I wrote much of it when I had a 7 hour layover in the Mexico City airport.)

It's very inspiring for me to be from Saskatchewan...for many reasons...and one of those reasons is definitely the incredible spirit of SK Roughrider Fans! There's nothing like them! In fact, this cult-like following that the Rider MKTG team has created has been studied and copied (well, attempted, anyway) by other sport teams and organizations.

It's incredible!

If you're from SK though, it's just what we do!

Today...I hope we all have something to cheer for, to support...something that creates community and inspires our spirit!

As I sit here, so grateful for the great visit and sleep at Antony and Irma's house and then the ride to Antigua from Nate (the most giving, kind, faith-filled, genuine people on the planet...from the Mennonite Central Committee organization that we've worked with in the past).

I'm hope-filled about many things...the future, my future, the strength of the friendships in my life (like rope that connects us) which I am sooo grateful for... I'm so happy to have something to hope for and cheer for in my life: my family, friends, the team at the hostel, the amazing staff that I am blessed to work with in Edmonton, the DIVA Retreat...and even the coming summer, life in general, love, the reality that anything is possible (especially being born in such an affluent country as Canada where we have so much compared to here in terms of opportunity, security and freedom) and I'm honestly hope-filled about what I see as an amazing new "shift" in the world and the increased focus on getting back to the things that really matter - family, connection, values, "real" food (not the processed stuff) which is what manyana's post is sbout (I've had more "real" food in the past few days....real fruit in my smoothie, real chocolate cocoa in my mocha coffee, home-made soup, real squeezed orange juice! OMG - it tastes so good!).

Adios amigos.

Mom, I love you.
You look great in green!
Thank you for teaching us to have something to hope for...not just the Rider's but more importantly:
- in life
- in looking at the glass as half full
- in seeing the bright side of things
- in believing the best from others
- in a bright future
- ...and, of course, in those amazing SK Roughriders! Who cares if they can't count.

No comments: