Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We only have natural fruits.

Today I woke up to the sound of a Guatemalan woman making tortillas. It was a great reminder of how they cook down here. The real way. The old-fashioned way. Made with natural ingredients. Made with love.

"We only have natural fruits." That's what the waiter said, when I asked for a fruit smoothie the other day. My first thought was, "Well...what else would you put in it other than natural fruit?" But then I started thinking about it...and in Canada, USA, etc, when you order a fruit smoothie...you might get fruit syrup (not real fruit at all), sugar water, flavouring and who knows what else.

I ordered a papaya and strawberry smoothie. I don't think I've ever tasted anything that tasted that good! That REAL! It was soooo gooood! I'm so glad that this little shop is just about 2 blocks from La Paloma Retreat Center where our DIVA Retreat will be. I can see a fabulous group of ladies sitting there, enjoying the moment, sipping on fruit smoothies with "only natural fruits" in them.

I also ordered a mocha coffee and it had real cocoa in it...no chocolate syrup, sugar or anything else. OMG! Another score!

And then there's the home-made soups that I've been trying. Tortilla soup, chicken soup, tomatoe soup. All...to die for!


When my mom cooks, she would make things with "only natural" ingredients. Perogies didn't come from a frozen package. Cinnamon buns came from the oven, not from a store. Jam was home-made and tasted out of this world. It still does. And the saskatoons that were used in making the jam came from the tree that we picked them from (with a ice-cream bucket tied around our necks).

This morning, as I get ready to go buy stuff from the market for the fundraising event I'm planning, I am so in awe of how real, natural and "good for you" all the food here is. It reminds me of home, of mom and of the value of taking time to prepare a meal. Add a bit of love to the mix and enjoy how much better everthing tastes without all the processed stuff.

When I get home, I'm going to be a bit more intentional about what I buy from the grocery store, what I eat and try to be a little more like my mom and the people in Mexico and Guatemala...making things with real ingredients...enjoying the fact that it takes a little longer to prepare, adding all the love I can to the mix.

Love you, Mom.

La mamá, yo tengo el tiempo más asombroso abajo aquí. Pienso que en otra vida, yo fui español. Soy bastante bueno en hablar el idioma y puedo conseguir por fácilmente. ¡Está a salvo y las personas son tan amistosas! Yo le pierdo. ¡Véale pronto y te quiero! Crystal xoxo

No comments: