Saturday, May 29, 2010

OK, OK, I'll follow. YOU lead.


Today, I felt like I was one of these little girls in India, being "carried" or led through my day.

I showed up this morning at 8:00am and we had a fantastic day at the Flaman Fitness Bike-A-Thon. I'm not sure how much money was raised, but for a "first annual" event, it was a great success, even though the weather didn't cooperate at first. It was raining and not looking good, but so many people showed up to ride and give their pledges to the Women's Shelter and for the entire 4 hours, all 15 stationary spin bikes were occupied! Yay!!


Anyway, back to the feeling "of being led". I sort of felt like, "Why am I really here?" Truthfully, I just sort of helped out. I didn't have any real agenda or things to do. I wasn't really needed. I was just there to help where I could. Gwen and the manager of the store were in charge of everything and it all went so well. It was amazing to watch Gwen in her element - inspiring and encouraging people, creating atmosphere and making people feel good...and laugh...a lot! Her "inspiring high kicks" that she did periodically were hilarious!

I really just did my part, helped out and when the day was done, Gwen and I spent some time just visiting and working and then I left, after a wonderful day. Upon getting home, showering and grabbing something to eat, I had a nap for half an hour with Scotia and then, for some odd reason, I felt I should go to the hostel. Well, that's not it. My inner voice said the following, although I'm not entirely sure why; "OK, OK, I hear you. We're going. I have no idea why, but OK."

And with that...I grabbed my keys, a protein shake and hopped in the car to go to the hostel. Getting there, there was no urgent matter to take care of. Everything and everyone were great. I folded some towels and bathmats, visited with some of the staff and guests and was still perplexed as to why I was even there. They were having a big BBQ and everyone was getting ready for it, cutting tomatoes and bbq-ing burgers.

Then, one of the staff and I sat down and he said he really needed to talk about some things and had just been thinking of me 10 minutes earlier and wanted to connect and talk about his work situation. He has a full-time job as well as working at the hostel and it's tiring, trying to do everything. He said, that no less than 10 minutes before, he had been thinking of me, wanting to talk about his thoughts and plans.

Totally cool, weird and normal...all at the same time.

Then, a man came in, from Greece, but he didn't have a credit card. Usually, we would say no, which we did (it's our policy that everyone have a cc). But he was closer to my age or 10 years older, certainly not a transient, and simply just didn't travel with his credit card. But our policy is there for a reason. We had to say no. I directed him to the other hostel in town but said, before I could even think about it, that if they said no, to please come back. We had one bed left for the night and, if it was only for one night, something told me that we should let him stay.

Well, he left...and then came back about 30 minutes later. the other hostel said that they also required a credit card in order to stay.

So...I checked this man in, showed him around and that was that. He said thanks, as he paid for his bed and that he was grateful b/c he would have had to drive back to Vancouver, had he not been able to stay the night. I said that it was nothing...but that when he comes back during the summer, he should bring his cc.

As I come home tonight and get ready for bed, I feel like I still don't know exactly why I was led where I went today...to work with the fund-raiser this morning...or to the hostel tonight... All I do know that I was supposed to follow that something inside of me that was leading. I don't know the impact or difference I made throuh my day, but I am certain that I was where I was supposed to be.

As I say goodnight and pick a card from our "DVIA Tin of Wisdom", the card I choose is "Have patience...". (Not really the card I wanted...b/c at this moment, I'm feeling slightly impatient.)

I think we always pick the right card for the moment.

Goodnight Mom. Love you.
I think I get what today was all about; following...or being led by a higher calling and being of service to some higher good.

These are things that you do, oh so very well.
Love Crystal

No comments: