Friday, May 14, 2010

Sitting back and letting go...

Mom -
This is my "little brother" from Australia. David. (He's the littlest one.) Here are a few photos of when I lived there in 1988 with all of my 5 Aussie brothers! The two oldest (Paul and Mark) and I hung out, played tricks on one another and often snuck under the fence to go to watch the drive-in movies across the field. The 3 youngest were there to be hugged and loved. They were often in my bedroom playing, wrestling with their older brothers or hanging around my neck in the pool. I loved most every moment with this family and these amazing little brothers who adopted me as their older sister within an hour of arrival.




Life seems to go "full circle" b/c David, who was 3 at the time, is now in Canada, running the hostel, taking over from Ian (from New Zealand) this past month. He's got to be one of the most talented individuals I have ever met - at dealing with people, at being "firm on principles, flexible on method" and at "sitting back and letting go" which instills a sense of "rising" or reaching potential on the rest of the team. He is adored by the world and everyone in his presence yet at the same time, he's an incredible leader and the team and customers listen and follow his leadership. I am so blessed, so lucky and so very, very fortunate.

Here are a few photos when he arrived last year to Canada.



I think this concept of sitting back a bit and letting go - not micro-managing - is a better way. How stifling that would be. Probably sometimes, I sit back a bit too much, and as a leader, I have soooo much to learn...but something must be going right b/c, my God, that hostel is blessed.

Mom - thank you for sitting back and letting go with all of us, when we were growing up. I do not recall a time that you stifled us and held us back (well...actually...I do remember you saying "no" when we were in grade 5 and got invited to a boy's birthday party) Boy, oh, boy...I remember sulking and pouting over that. hah.
Seriously - thank you Mom. You are the greatest leader I know. And while I have so much yet to learn, looking back at how you sat back, observed, let go and simply had faith...teaches me so much.

I love you,
Crystal
PS thx for the chat yesterday.

No comments: