Saturday, May 8, 2010

Nap or Time Out?



I needed a time-out one day on our Diva Retreat. We had just gone surfing the day before and I hit my head on the sand... b/c while I got the "how to get up on the board" correct, I didn't quite have the "how and WHEN to get off the board" quite down.

Amazingly, I got up on the board and was so excited to be standing...SURFING! I wanted to ride that wave in as far as I could... after all...who deliberately jumps off their board once they've actually made it to standing on it?

Good question.

I had an amazing time - riding a surf board for the first time in my life! We did actually take surf lessons about 25 years ago...in Hawaii...but I don't ever remember actually standing on the board back then.


So...I rode the wave in as far as I could...and upon getting very close to the beach, I asked myself "How am I supposed to get off this thing?" A few different thoughts came to mind in that milli-second....let the board hit the beach and then just run off on to the sand...try to jump off now...hmmm....
Well, I didn't have much choice b/c the wave and water beneath me receded quite quickly and I reached the sand faster and harder than I could have ever possibly imagined and did a total face-plant-smack-down on to the beach. (Mel and Mandy apparently saw the whole thing unfold while sitting on the beach down the way and I guess it looked so funny, they laughed so hard!!) After the smack-down, I proceeded to get back on my board, make it past the breaking waves and lay there for few minutes...thankful that I didn't knock myself out or something worse.

Note to self: learning how to start something or try something new is great...but it might be wise to learn what to do next....

The next day, I had a total headache and my neck was really sore. We went snorkeling and it was a fabulous day. I was spent though, by the end of it, so when we stopped en route home to do a little tour of a local shop, I just was not into it. I did see this hammock outside in the courtyard though...so that's where I went to relax and have a time-out.

15 minutes.

Just enough time for a little nap or time out that I needed to take for myself.

It felt good to take a few minutes for me. I felt better. My mood was better and my neck felt better too.

Funny how a little time out can do such wonders.

Mom - You take time out's when you need them and I'm so glad! It must feel great to put your feet up, relax and take some time for you.

I love you!
Crystal

No comments: