Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cleaning the garage


Mom,
I've heard you say, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Well, my garage can't be cleaned in a day either. I think this is week-long task. Maybe two. I know where am going to be every evening this coming week, after working in Penticton during the day.

Today is Sunday. Taking a nap and then going for a 14km run instead of tackling the garage first thing seemed like a good idea. So that's what I did. After 37 minutes, I could feel a smile on my face...and after 1 hour and 9 minutes, I couldn't wipe the smile off, even if I tried. At about 1 hour and twenty minutes, I made it back to my front step and was sooo glad to be home....and so glad that my feet took my body and spirit where they needed to go.

Back to the garage...I've got my plan and it's going to look GREAT...soon. I have to admit that I have no idea how it got this messy. I'm the only one with a key to it...so I know it's all my doing! I think I've just ignored it's existence for a year or more. Honestly. It wasn't begging for attention...so it just got ignored!

What else in my life isn't begging for my attention...and is just getting ignored...that maybe shouldn't be ignored?

Something else to think about as I clean the garage...
Here's my plan:
Make 3 Piles
- one to keep
- one for a garage sale
- one last pile for items to give away or take to the dump

It was a slow start today but a lovely, intentional Sunday that was just what my soul needed.
Space.
A slow pace.
Grace.

I also have some wonderful news...Amelie (from Quebec) is coming to visit for a week around June 18th. I am so excited!

Do you think God heard me say that I was lonely? He must have because Amelie is one of my most treasured friends, more like a sister, and spending some time with her will be truly so amazing. She said she wants to do yoga, visit, go for runs, work a little and I'm sure we'll laugh until we cry, reminisce about days gone by, and I can hardly wait to hear about her family (she has two little children) and life since she managed the hostels years ago! We'll go paddle-boarding, make great meals, mabye take a day-trip down to the South Okanagan to buy fruit or something, enjoy some great wine and just enjoy reconnecting. I am so grateful!

The back yard is looking fabulous. The lavender and flowers are gorgeous and the big trees overhead are dropping white seeds that are blowing everywhere, as if it's snowing!

It's 7:20pm.
I could almost go to bed so getting up at 5am to go for a run will seem easier.
I love you, Mom.
Thank you for teaching me how to "work" and also for teaching me that getting my hands dirty, doing the "un-fun" jobs and just getting started is a battle half won.

love you,
Crystal

No comments: