Friday, May 28, 2010

Windows, doors and walls....

I'm reading a book right now by Elizabeth Gilbert, the author or Eat, Pray, Love...a famous true story that told the experience of how she went travelling for one year: to Italy, India and then Indonesia... to find her spirit and spend time in each place to indulge (Italy), be in a place and space of devotion (India) and then to Bali, to find the balance between the two. It was a great book...and this one is too.

I read the following and will never forget it.

In her new book, "Committed", Elizabeth Gilbert mentions a lady by the name of Dr. Glass. Dr. Glass came up with an analogy for communication that was so amazingly simple, clear...and profound.

It's funny how the most profound things are so very simple!

Anyway, the concept is about how, in communication, we have windows and doors (spaces we can freely open where life is "personal") and these windows and doors are reserved for our closest friends, families and partners. Then there are walls (like in a house) where nothing passes through. It's not personal. Walls are built (and should be) between acquaintances, strangers, etc.

The problem in communication, and in relationships, according to this psychologist, is when we start making windows where there should be walls and boarding up windows to become like walls, where there should be windows.

After reading this little excerpt, I stopped and thought about my past friendships and relationships...where I definitely boarded up a few windows and doors and cut a few holes in walls to make windows where I shouldn't have.

As I pack this weekend and move some things over to the new house (to store in the garage), I'll look at all the windows, doors, walls and that amazing view a little differently.

Mom - you didn't make up this analogy but it reminds me of your simple, profound truths that you often come up with.

I love you.
Have a wonderful day!
love your #8, Crystal

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Crystal,
This is my second most favorite post of yours! You got me thinking...and realizing...that I want to understand more of where you're coming from than you probably want to know of me. And that's perfectly OK, because I'm not in your intimate circle of friends, and I'm really reading your stuff to learn something more about myself, without you even really knowing about it.
Thank you again for writing this blog and making us all perk up and listen a bit better than we have been. You are your Mama's angel.... <3

Crystal Flaman said...

Thank you for your note. All I know for sure...is that I need to perk up and listen a bit better than I have been in the past. Please don't say that you want to know more of me than I of you... I think we're all just trying to do the best we can in life and want to learn as we go...thank you for reading my blog. I am honoured. thinking of you today and wishing you the very most it can offer. crystal PS Hope all is well on the island.

Ryan Jenkins said...

Intentional living! I love it!

"The most important things are so very simple." I would say living intentional is soooo important and yet it's very simple. If we all kept things a bit simpler that would help with the other issue you mentioned - poor communicating. Communicating should be about taking complex ideas/emotions and making them easily understood.

Way to be Crystal! You seem to be living with intentionality. I look forward to new posts and reviewing past posts.

Stay intentional!