Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Divine love...


I read a story once that talked about "divine love". It said that divine love is devoid of fear. Without fear, divine love (or what I think real love is) just flows freely. There's nothing stopping it (like fear, expectation, attachment to the outcome, etc.)...so love is just shared and given freely, with an endless supply to the world around and everyone and everything in it. Where there is divine love, there is no self-sacrifice or winning (or losing) either. There is just love.

I saw the expression of "divine love" today in two different instances. First, just a tiny example, this morning when I was driving to Pentiction, an hour away, in heavy traffic, someone turned into my lane from the right so I had to press the brakes fast and hard. I was in the right lane. The person behind me in the left lane saw the situation and in a split-second, pressed their brakes hard, to let me in, so I move around the car in front of me with ease, rather than have to brake fast. I was grateful. I ducked back into the right lane and waved as they passed. They waved. It was a moment of genuine or divine love - between strangers - if that could be possible.

Then tonight, I was booking flights for the group that I'm organizing to go to Guatemala in June and I did most of the bookings on-line. It was working out great. Everyone meets in Calgary (from Regina, S'toon and Edmonton) to continue through Houston to Guate. City together. We all arrive at the same time! yay! Except for my flight. I booked my flight last, coming from Kelowna. It would not let me complete the booking...and it quoted a price that was much higher than the other fares. I called the Phone #...and got a person that tried to book it for me...but came to the same problem. it would not allow them to finish the booking. He said I had to choose a different flight...(and not arrive at the same time or take the same flights...which would be unacceptable).

I said no. He then said they could not help me.

I then said I needed a "solutions provider" to speak with b/c I didn't want someone to just reiterate the problem.

(Apparently, that came out a bit "crisp" but it was true. He was not impressed.) However, it was true... I wanted someone who could help me...who could find a solution...who could divinely love their job...without fear, expectation, judgement, impatience or desire to just to the bare minimum or be lazy, taking the "easy" route.

I needed a solutions provider.

The supervisor was that person. He divinely loved his job...and therefore loved me...and was a "solutions provider", not a "problem reiterator"! In the end, he booked my flight with just a bit of time, patience and creativity on his part....at $900 versus the $1500 I would have paid if it had worked when I tried to book it myself!

Wow! how cool is that?

I guess, for the most part, it's easy to divinely love our jobs, strangers, our pets, people not-so-close to us. It's much harder to love the people closest to our hearts because it's there that we have fear of what we may lose.

Mom, just last week, when we were talking, the message I heard when you were talking about our relatives...was to "accept and come what may" and be OK with that...essentially - to have no fear...to just divinely love every day and everyone and everything that each moment and day brings...

It's easier said than done, I know, and I'm tested by this (Aren't we all?)...yet I still believe it's ultimately easier to live this way (If I want to live in peace within myself.) I'm trying to divinely love everything in my life from my cat Scotia to the amazing team at the hostel, to my family and friends...everything in my life. **

I love you, Mom.
Thank you for the wisdom you share with me when you think you're just sharing your day. You are truly divine - in every sense of the word!
love Crystal

Sidenote: ** I am trying to love everything divinely except the friggin' mouse that is hiding under my dishwasher. I set the trap for it each night, put peanut butter on it...only to wake up each morning with the peanut butter licked off and the trap still in place. This tiny mouse is out-smarting me! All I know is that I will divinely love to catch that little sucker! Scotia is no help whatsoever! It's unbelievable! I think she divinely loves this little mouse!

PS Mom, when I was in India last summer, I took this photo of the Dalai Lama speaking. It was incredible. I didn't hear the concept of divine love from him but I think he and you both live by the same philosophy of "divine love".

No comments: