Sunday, January 17, 2010

Better late than never.

I am a self-professed "Slow Learner"! I belong in the slower group at this moment.

Lastnight I was reminded of one of the most basic fundamentals of intentional living. I should have known better. I DO know better! I just forgot. I wasn't paying attention.

I wasn't being "fully present".

My sister said, "I just want to spend time with YOU." She was referring to the laptop I often bring when I come and casually hang out at their place. Or the other work-related things that I can "multi-task" while visiting with her. Or the guitar I brought over to play my new song that I'm learning. Or...(I could go on and on, sadly.)

It's true. Often, when my sister and I get together, we're usually doing something while hanging out together. She might be cleaning. I might be 1/2 working on a project. She might be puttering. I might be doing paperwork. Or, we might be working on something together. We're always there for one another and are very, very close. We talk every day, even if only for a few minutes, just to check in.

But it's not right to give only 70-80% of my attention to her when we're together. It was a sad realization that I had been taking her for granted. Neither one of us has really been giving 100% of our attention to the other when we get together.

So, while being a slow learner, I decided that today was going to be a day of complete and utter intentional living! What a difference it makes!

Who knew?

My other sister (who is visiting for the week) and I went running for an hour. It was fabulous. Then, we went for lunch, which was also excellent, followed by a winery tour and then lighting a fire in my fireplace and visiting for a couple hours. It was a wonderful day!

Yes, I am a slow learner. But today, I gave 100% of myself to the people who I spent time with. I felt more present. More connected. More intentional. And that felt great!

Tonight, I went to the hostel and spent an hour learning to play the song, Opportunity, with Matt and a few other guests. I don't have words to describe my excitement over learning to play the guitar. I've wanted to learn to play for years. 12 to be exact. Since I started the hostel. Yes, that is a long time. A very long time.

Better late than never!

My mom used to say this when we would follow through, a little later than she would have liked, on something she asked us to do.

Yes, better late than never. Thanks, Mom! Love you. I can hardly wait to play a song for you! love Crystal

No comments: