Monday, January 25, 2010

Firm on principles - flexible on method.

I'm leaving on Wednesday for a week, so tonight I went to the hostel to talk to the manager, Ian, about the hostel and the coming week. Ian is from New Zealand and has been managing the hostel for the past year. He's brilliant! He is a fabulous manager for the team and he's extraordinary at working "on" the business, not just "in" it. He's come up with so many creative ideas for how to operate the hostel more efficiently and he's a great leader.













My philosophy is to be "firm on principles - but flexible on method".

Mom, you were the same way. We grew up with strict principles on how to live, how to behave and how to treat others. But you were never a "micro-manager" at all. I don't think you had time! You seemed completely flexible on how things got done. When we had chores to do - you just said - do them. You didn't give any other direction and you never watched over our shoulder. I remember working in the back yard, in the garden picking weeds or taking care of the lawn. Sometimes, just to make things interesting, I would do things differently (than what you would probably have done). But you didn't care. And if there was a problem, I remember you being more interested in having us figure out a solution than offering your own direction on the matter. Hhmmmm.... wow!

I'm so glad for all of this because I've learned to lead in the same manner. 12 years of owning the hostel, it still seems to be working. I'm grateful and blessed! As the years go by, I relinquish even more of the creative control of the business and the staff and guests come up with the BEST ideas! Way better than I could ever have come up with on my own!

I truly am blessed!
There are gorgeous murals on many of the walls in the hostel and the atmosphere is truly amazing. It's the happiest place on earth! There are travelers from around the world that stay with us and we have so many repeat customers, it's incredible!

Having a great team is the secret. And, thanks to you, Mom, learning to hold a positive vision, higher standards, of what could be possible...and then let go...and let the team do their thing has been instrumental. Staying firm on principles (clean, safe and friendly) but flexible on method, has been a big part of the reason the hostel has done so well.

The hostel turns 12 on February 12, 2010. I still remember the first day of ownership. There were 3 police cars there on the first night, helping us kick people out - who would not pay. (The hostel was a "crack house" when we bought it...but it had the right zoning for a hostel.) It's hard to believe time has passed so quickly...and almost effortlessly, it seems.

I know it's not without effort though. I remember the days, nights, the stress and the financial struggle that those first couple years contained. Looking back, I don't think I would trade any of it...I've learned so much. Mostly - thanks to my mom - I learned two very important things about leadership:
1. always be firm on principles (and tell everyone around what those principles are) and then be flexible on method.
2. hold a vision for others, where they are at their very best, and allow them space to rise to become the person you envisioned.

Thank you, Mom.
I love you!

No comments: