Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We are, each of us, angels with only one wing.

We are each of us angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other.
Luciano De Crescenzo

My entire life has been filled with hugs, hugs and more hugs. Our family grew up very close to what existed on the show, "The Waltons". Everyone hugged when they greeted one another (especially our mom) every morning and again at night when going to bed. It was just what we did. Family functions were spent talking, laughing, dancing (if we were lucky) and exchanging hugs. Everything wasn't perfect, by any stretch, but we were always taught that affection, hugs and being close with one another, was just the way it was to be.

My mom is the architect of family relationships in our house when we were growing up. She remains the glue that holds everyone (10 kids, their spouses and well over a dozen grand kids) together. Her hugs are like no other. There were so many hugs and "I love you's" shared over the years, all rituals started by my mom.

My sister, Gwen, gives the most amazing hugs...a skill she learned from mom. She is the brightest light in the room. The living embodiment of authenticity and an angel, like no other. We talk every day, most of the time to just check in and say hi. And she really does give the very best hugs ever.

Mom and Gwen, you really are angels in this world, sharing your love, your energy and your demand for what is "real"...and, of course, your hugs. Thank you.

Today, while working and doing errands, I was able to connect with a few friends and colleagues. We must have all grew up watching "The Waltons" because everyone consistently greets one another by exchanging hugs. It is wonderful. I think it is true...that we really are like angels with only one wing...and it is only by embracing one another that we are able to fly, literally and figuratively.

(Three of my sisters and I.)

What a way to connect. To live intentionally. To support one another. Just like the personal mission of Juan Mann, (free hugs campaign)a man whose sole mission was to reach out and hug a stranger to brighten up their lives.

I'm sure some people (the knuckle hand-shaker's) would be so appauled but it would be great to try to be a little more like Juan Mann regarding his vision to reach out to others. I'm going to try that, even more than I do now. Lets see what happens.

Today, I feel blessed - to be a friend - to have friends - and to share in embracing one another so that we are able to fly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog Crystal! I am all about hugs! In fact, just yesterday at my yoga class I shared (yes, out loud) that my dream is hold a class where I hug all my students as they arrive and again as they leave! What a privilege to be connected to you ... with a hug!

Warm hugs to you my friend!

Marlene Weller

Crystal Flaman said...

Marlene, I want to be in your yoga class! I'm so grateful to connect with you...thank you for this, our friendship and your hugs. crystal