Monday, January 4, 2010

Oh, my dear children!


At a family reunion, years ago, we held a "family race" where everyone went out and ran, walked, biked or operated the aid station at the family cabin. It was an incredible day!


This phrase meant many things....

Our mom said it when she was happy, filled with joy and gratitude at being surrounded by her kids and grand kids.

She also said it when she was mad, frustrated or all-out angry about something (we did).

What I remember most is not what she said, but HOW she said it. There was so much feeling and emotion in her words. She is and always has been very gifted at expressing herself and with her dry sense of humour, HOW she said things really took on a life and meaning much bigger and often, more entertaining, than expected. Living intentionally today, for me, was about looking at how I say things. I taught a business planning class all day and I tried to look at how i said things and how I could say them better, differently, but in fewer words...

Mom never rambled on and on. She never nagged at us when we were kids. We still had chores to do...and from what I remember, there were always chores! But she didn't nag. I don't think she had the energy. She had 5 kids from 4-15 years old in the house (all the others were older already) and she took care of us on her own. Can you imagine that? I can't! She was my age at the time of moving 5 kids into the city (from the farm) when she and my dad broke up. Yes...I think she was definitely exhausted!

She really has a great sense of humour, a way with words, and a dry wit that usually goes over my head...and such a vivid expressiveness. Once, years ago, I had to do a speech for a client and my mom was going to be there, in the audience. Since, I often tell stories of various things...I thought it would be cool to tell one of my many stories that include my mom and then invite her up to say a few words! Great idea! She said yes and the client also said OK...and when my mom got up to speak, the room of a couple hundred people sat in rapt silence. She was amazing. She was so very amazing. I will never forget it. It was one of those moments when you just sit in awe, and realize you are seeing something for the first time. My mom is one of my greatest mentors, in every way!

Mom, I love you. I am so inspired and filled with awe as I remember all the little things you said or did that have influenced me over the years. You are truly incredible. love you.
Crystal

No comments: