Friday, January 22, 2010

Go play!

My mom used to say this when we were under-foot or in the way, usually when she was making dinner.

We would invariably wander off and go play. We had lego, dolls, light-bright, play dough, that green gooey "slime" (that we would hang from the chandelier in the kitchen), a big sandbox in a tractor tire and slinkie's. Having 9 brothers and sisters always meant there was someone to play with....or bug.



Today, a friend and I were talking about the fact that neither of us make time to get out and play enough in our lives. We were discussing how little we actually get out to have FUN! But that's what life's about. She did tell me that she has Tim McGraw concert tickets for March 2010 in Vancouver and that her husband can't go with her since he'll be away working. Too bad for me! I am working that week in Edmonton, so I can't go.

But wouldn't that be amazing? A trip to the coast, a great concert, quality car conversation, maybe some shopping and tons of laughter! Now, that sounds like fun!

It's time!

Time to incorporate a little more play in my life!

What does "playing" look like for me? Well, definitely playing my guitar. Snowboarding. Getting out with friends. Dancing. Even exercise is kinda like playing. Hmmm...it's actually hard to come up with a big list of what I love to do to play. Perhaps, this is where it starts. I need to make a list of what I love to do:
- dancing (definitely #1)
- socializing with friends
- snowboarding
- running, cycling or training for my Ironman races (anything sports-related)
- playing the guitar
- watching movies
- doing anything artsy like painting
- getting together with my best friends and doing most anything
- getting out on my paddle board with my little sister (the stand-up paddle boards like in Hawaii)...this is our favourite summer activity out on the water!

I think I need to take some time to think about what "play" really looks like for me.

Mom, what I do know is this, though! I'm going out on the town this weekend! Gwen and I are going to hang out Friday night and then on Saturday, I'm going to a party! Yay!!! A BIG party! There will be some great friends there from my tribe, lots of laughs and dancing!!!

I'm so excited!! I can hardly wait!

Mom, I love you.
You remain my greatest inspiration, and are truly, the wind beneath my wings.
Crystal

No comments: